Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter cooler Replacement

Hey all how are you doing?

Today I got a full overhaul on my car from my local mechanic (he is amazing) he mentioned that my intercooler had started to leak some oil and it is best if I was to think about replacing it soon.

Just wondering is it something you can do yourself? as I have had a look at it looks simple.... but looks can be deceiving.

Also what brand of Intercoolers are best? I don't want to go back to the stock I would rather upgrade to a better one just not sure where to start looking.

Cheers James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate there are a number of direct bolt in replacements. Would be very very basic to swap out.

What engine, what year?.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the best type are the ones using original ends with a more efficient core welded (not crimped) between them. They are guaranteed to fit perfectly. I bought a larger after market one years ago ( and yes, I know there are various brands) but the one I got took lots of mucking about and bracket making to finally fit properly.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply, it is a ZD30 and its in a 2001 gu patrol

Thank you for that, that is good to know, so you would stick to something around the same size then?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James9625 View Post
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply, it is a ZD30 and its in a 2001 gu patrol

Thank you for that, that is good to know, so you would stick to something around the same size then?
    You need a fully tigged replacement IC from Diesel Smart, as soon as you see oil on an OE ic its leaking
    they all do even the CRD. the fully tigged original ones are 33% bigger as well .If you need to run a boost gauge you can buy boost
    adaptors that just fit under the oe boost sensor, Youre looking at about $300 odd dollars for a tigged intercoler,
    you could also run a larger scoop. I rin one and love it they are about 76mm tall compared to the oe at about 40mm high
    They are sold by A.R.E or Guest 4wd in Fairfield Melb
    Last edited by threedogs; 13th December 2018 at 02:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    You need a fully tigged replacement IC from Diesel Smart, as soon as you see oil on an OE ic its leaking
    they all do even the CRD. the fully tigged original ones are 33% bigger as well .If you need to run a boost gauge you can buy boost
    adaptors that just fit under the oe boost sensor, Youre looking at about $300 odd dollars for a tigged intercoler,
    you could also run a larger scoop. I rin one and love it they are about 76mm tall compared to the oe at about 40mm high
    They are sold by A.R.E or Guest 4wd in Fairfield Melb
    Thanks heaps for that I will look into them both! I am not running a boost gauge at the moment, is it worth running one? What are the pros and cons of having one?