Thread: Native plants and their uses.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Native plants and their uses.

I have been interested in edible plants (weeds and native plants) for years but have never really studied them. I have found that most books provide small or not really clear pictures too. I have only recently learned that dried leaves of the dreaded Bidgee Widgee makes a pleasant substitute for tea.

So if you know of an easily identified plant that has proven food value, please share it with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (27th November 2018), Plasnart (25th November 2018), VK2FMIA (25th November 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers off a Prickly Pear are not too bad to eat, b@$tard to peel though.
    61W6KeOaDSL._SX425_.jpg
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (27th November 2018), mudnut (25th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    The flowers off a Prickly Pear are not too bad to eat, b@$tard to peel though.
    61W6KeOaDSL._SX425_.jpg
    I forgot about them. It's been nearly 30 years since I tasted them. I found it to be like a seed laden watermelon.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stinging nettles boiled in water make a tasty spinach substitute. Boiling gets rid of the sting. Go for the leaves only unless constipated - including the stalks has a laxative effect. Used to eat these quite often back in the UK. Stinging nettles seem less 'abundant' here, but we have some in the garden in Ballarat & have eaten them.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (27th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is there any harmful plant that can be easily mistaken for stinging nettle, @Cuppa?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried making a stinging nettle tea once, wasn't too flash but . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Is there any harmful plant that can be easily mistaken for stinging nettle, @Cuppa?
    Don't think so.There are a few other types of nettle, but they are all edible. We also used to make tea from what were called deadnettles, they had white flowers which were quite sweet, & no sting. Not sure they are in Australia though. Was quite into it back in the day, the 'bible' was a book called 'Food for Free' by a bloke called Richard Maybey. (Try googling it, you never know he may have done an Aussie version sometime over the past 35 or so years!). He listed all UK edible plants, rated each one according to how palatable it was, & made preparation/cooking suggestions.

I recall chickweed was quite tasty raw in salads.

Don't bother with Dandelion root coffee - it's disgusting!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't ever attempt the Pig Melon. I broke one open once and taste licked it. Immediately ceased and spat hard!

I think this is the right link to the plant. Common in northern Aus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrullus_colocynthis

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post: