User Tag List

Thread: Rattling on first takeoff

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattling on first takeoff

Hey peeps. After waiting a couple of minutes after turning on the patrol, when I take off it makes a loud rattle sound and then it goes away.
    Any idea what it could be? Could it be something to do with gearbox oil being low or anything else?

The weird thing is it doesn't happen again unless the patrol has been off for a while.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salim View Post
    Hey peeps. After waiting a couple of minutes after turning on the patrol, when I take off it makes a loud rattle sound and then it goes away.
    Any idea what it could be? Could it be something to do with gearbox oil being low or anything else?

The weird thing is it doesn't happen again unless the patrol has been off for a while.
    Where does it sound like the noise is coming from, under the car or engine bay? If you rev without putting it into gear does it still rattle? Manual or auto trans? Try putting into first and letting the clutch out to take up point, then into reverse and same thing. Listen for clunk or rattle noise, it may be backlash in the universal(s).
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Salim (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Where does it sound like the noise is coming from, under the car or engine bay? If you rev without putting it into gear does it still rattle? Manual or auto trans? Try putting into first and letting the clutch out to take up point, then into reverse and same thing. Listen for clunk or rattle noise, it may be backlash in the universal(s).
    Sounds like the engine bay. Doesn't rev in neutral only in first I can't actually remember if it does it in reverse too or not. It's like a clacking and rattling noise. But as I said before it goes away after taking off.
    Manual trans

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok just tested it without accelerating and just letting the clutch take it. Doesn't make the noise. Only when accelerating in reverse and first.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salim View Post
    Sounds like the engine bay. Doesn't rev in neutral only in first I can't actually remember if it does it in reverse too or not. It's like a clacking and rattling noise. But as I said before it goes away after taking off.
    Manual trans
    Ok if its engine it may just be the injector pump. not knowing the sound and how loud it is makes it a bit hard to guess though. It could also be the rockers not getting enough oil maybe. I doubt its the gearbox oil level, but hard to know without hearing it. If it bothers you or gets worse, take it to a mechanic for and opinion, otherwise turn the radio up and shut your eyes. Seriously though, its a bit hard without hearing it and may be nothing or a portent of somthing disarsterous.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Salim (16th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Ok if its engine it may just be the injector pump. not knowing the sound and how loud it is makes it a bit hard to guess though. It could also be the rockers not getting enough oil maybe. I doubt its the gearbox oil level, but hard to know without hearing it. If it bothers you or gets worse, take it to a mechanic for and opinion, otherwise turn the radio up and shut your eyes. Seriously though, its a bit hard without hearing it and may be nothing or a portent of somthing disarsterous.
    Really hoping it's nothing bad haha but I'm planning on changing the diff, gearbox and transfer case oils over the weekend so we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't help then it's gonna be a job for the mechanic.