2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After checking out the diff oils at supercheap on-line, I found this listed, and purchased it. I'm hoping it's still available, as it's not listed in the Penrite web-site search. Supercheap says it's a special order from Penrite, so not kept in stores, and will be delivered.

Penrite HD Gear Oil Premium Mineral Non Limited Slip - 80W-90, 20l. ( only available in 20 & 105 lt drums and has no "slip" additives ) $160 for 20lts.

We'll see what happens.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to add to big gags post . my car is almost due for its first gearbox and diff oil change so i've had a bit of a look around them and all of the filler and drain plugs have some sort of sealant around the plugs . in almost every other car i've had i've always had slight weeping from the plugs , very minimal , and only just noticeable, but there all the same. to make a tapered thread seal they have to be very tight and i have come across plugs ( hex heads ,allen key and slotted for flat head screwdrivers ) that have bee stripped because they were done up so tight to make them seal . they can be a real pain to remove . i have seen other alternatives to seal them as well . there is/was one system where you screw a plug in and then screw a cap in to the plug which seals with o' ring/s against the g/box housing to contain any weeping . years ago most 4x4,s would be parked outside on a patch of dirt and the odd drop of oil and grease here and there was part of the deal of owning a 4x4 . but these days a lot of people want to keep their car in the garage and not have it drop oil and grease on the floor , not to mention the issues this might cause with the authorities . i park my car in the garage , so would like what this sealant compound is that nissan has used .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if anyone is still following this thread?
    Just to clarify. There is no LSD on factory 2014 GU Y61 DX cab chassis? I'm about to do my diff oils too, and i think it is just a standard diff lock? not LSD?
    can someone confirm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a dx and doesn't have an lsd it would be an open diff I assume. No lockers unless they were added and you would know about that. In this case it probably doesn't matter which oil you use. Limited slip stuff would do it.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know also, picking up a 2012 model with locker in the rear, so assume that the oil will be the same front and rear. 80W-90 all round I assume? Still researching the options, but sounds like the Penrite is out. What alse is being used out there?

Cheers,
    Paul

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    I'd be interested to know also, picking up a 2012 model with locker in the rear, so assume that the oil will be the same front and rear. 80W-90 all round I assume? Still researching the options, but sounds like the Penrite is out. What alse is being used out there?

Cheers,
    Paul
    Paul,
    This oil is suitable for the Patrol rear locker diff but you need to order it direct from Penrite. It took about a week to arrive.
    Penrite HD Gear Oil Premium Mineral Non Limited Slip - 80W-90, 20l. ( only available in 20 & 105 lt drums and has no "slip" additives ) $160 for 20lts.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking through the treads it would seem that I can use the same oil in the gearbox and transfer as well, at least that would justify spending on 20lt.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking thru the the manual it seems that a dexron lll atf oil is listed for the transfer box

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    looking thru the the manual it seems that a dexron lll atf oil is listed for the transfer box
    Correct. If you use 80/90 the auto hubs will try to engage by themselves. If you use manual hubs or have converted your autos to manual. Then 80/90 is good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast