Thread: Gu ii

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu ii

As I am looking to get my first GU and I have been googling for a few days and it seems that the 3.0 GU's are a little risky.
    It seems that it may only be the GU II series but I am not sure.
    I have seen a great 2000 GU II 3.0 with lots of accessories, pretty much exactly what I want but I am a little worried as I have read that the GU II is a very risky engine.
    It has a turbo boost gauge and EGT gauge and is also set up for LPG, I did not know that you could even do that on a diesel, let alone why?
    It looks great and seems a good buy at $11,000 but if it breaks I can't afford to fix it so I am a little concerned.

What are your thoughts?
    Am I just being paranoid?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The issues you speak of are common'ish, from the first of the 3Ltrs in the GUI to the GUIII and even some of the GUIV's have had the grenade pull the pin. Having said that, there are still plenty of 3Ltrs going around with a bucket load of K's and still going strong. But the issue is there, no one cannot deny it, even if they have a 3Ltr with 400thou on the clock. They are just one of the lucky ones.
    I bought my GU with a rebuilt 3ltr which had 70thou on it. I had done another 50thou and the injector pump died. I decided to not spend another cent on it, so I dropped a bomb of cash on rebuilding a TD42 and converting it over. The head was removed on the 3ltr we took out and number 4 piston had a crack in it. So it was just a matter of time and it was to go again.
    Its a hard one. The GU is a tuff truck, they really do well in the bush, if you want a diesel, and your funds can only go so far, your choices are really limited. the 2.8Ltr or the 3ltr. If you had extra coin you might find a GU with a TD42 in it, or even a latter GU with the ZD30 Common Rail motor. The 3ltr is a zippy little motor, slightly under powered for the size of the vehicle in my opinion, but when in low range, its pretty much null and void.

Have you thought about the Petrol variants?

The LPG you speak of is gas injection. Its supposed to give the motor a bit go go and make it more economical. Im not really sure to be honest with this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how many early model 3 litre motors blew up but most of us know someone it's happened to , not all the motors have blown up though and it would appear that if it was going to blow it would have done it by now .
    Any second hand car is a mystery bag but if servicing is kept regular and everything is clean and tidy usually that's what you look for .
    As for the gas injection I've seen stronger motors blown up from gas injection and then removed after the rebuild .
    Ours is a 2002 and goes like stink ,it's been round oz three times pulling a big van plus many trips to QLD and has 300 thousand odd Kay's on the clock .

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi just drive it like you stole it,, as suggested keep the servicing up.
    If an auto service that once a year, You know the rules it didnt happen without
    a picture.
    Enjoy your new beast
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for so many great replies.

mudski: it does seem that the rear cylinders are the ones that fail from what I have read.
    I would love a petrol but based on my Pathfinder I am worried about fuel costs. Mine goes like the clappers and has lots of grunt offroad but 18 - 20L/100k town and 13-14L/100k highway is just to expensive especially at the current fuel prices.
    I once owned a V8 Commodore on LPG for better economy, but less power. Diesels already have good economy so I don't know if LPG improves that but, as you suggest, maybe it actually improves the power on a diesel.
    I would love a 4.2 that seems the ideal solution, but as I am saving to buy some land and build a house and I have a 14 month old son, it is hard to justify the $25G plus price of a 4.2.

GQtdauto: That's the scary part, it seems that there is still no certainty as to why some blow and others don't. EGT gauges, boost gauges, MAF sensors, NADS, and a bunch of other things to try to prevent or predict the explosion but even that seems hit and miss?

threedogs: that is probably the practicle approach to take, and hope for the best. good servicing and common sense avoids a lot of problems.

I will keep all this in mind as I make my choice. Thanks Gentlemen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 642 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought. Keep an eye open for a well looked after GQ with the 4.2. Should fit your budget.
    It's a bit like driving a block of flats from inside a Spinal Tap amplifier, turned up to 11, but they are an honest old workhorse.
    Do all you require and then some.
    There's any number of ex GQ owners on the forum who'd give an arm to have it back, so they reckon.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    Just a thought. Keep an eye open for a well looked after GQ with the 4.2. Should fit your budget.
    It's a bit like driving a block of flats from inside a Spinal Tap amplifier, turned up to 11, but they are an honest old workhorse.
    Do all you require and then some.
    There's any number of ex GQ owners on the forum who'd give an arm to have it back, so they reckon.
    I have thought about that but with the wife and a young son I think I need the extra comfort.
    More like a Led Zep amplifier for my generation
    Gotta have something to convince my wife we need a new 4WD

not sure what's going on with the pic upload. doesn't work in my Linux with Firefox or Chrome and doesn't work in my Win 7 with Firefox or Internet Explorer. Not even for the avatar.
    Never mind, I'll work it out eventually.
    Last edited by Orcrist; 6th November 2018 at 08:10 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neighbor is selling a GU 2.8 manual with 402,000km for $6k
    Interior is a little grubby and paint is pretty poor, lots of rusty stone chips.
    Has a bar and drives OK but not a nice vehicle for the family. Would be a great project car if I was young and single.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my GQ 4.2 with around 160,000k. Had a Denco turbo fitted, but I thought, as it was a few years old, I would just get a new car to see me out----really bad idea. My GU 3.0 Di works fine and has done the Simpson and lots of outback stuff. No travel issues, including camper trailer etc.
    Common clutch and water leak issues--both sorted but a nuisance.
    I regret selling the GQ even though the GU is more "refined"
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"