Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedo Sensor Gearing

Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    With the GU's its easy mate. You can just change the speedo driven gear on the sensor. If you pm me the VIN of your car I can look up how many teeth is on the gear you have and should be able to point you to what you need to buy. The right gear should cost you under $50.
    I was just reading your reply about speedo sensor gearing ..... I just changed my diff ratios from4.625 to 5.13 and loving the change however as you can imagine my speedo now overeads but all my investigations show i need an inline electrical box to apply do this as it seems nissan only provide a gear for a certain vin ..... do you have any aftermarket info for gearing ....... currently I just use a GPS speedo and its fine but interested in any info u may have.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Engism View Post
    I was just reading your reply about speedo sensor gearing ..... I just changed my diff ratios from4.625 to 5.13 and loving the change however as you can imagine my speedo now overeads but all my investigations show i need an inline electrical box to apply do this as it seems nissan only provide a gear for a certain vin ..... do you have any aftermarket info for gearing ....... currently I just use a GPS speedo and its fine but interested in any info u may have.
    4.6's to 5.13!?? I didnt even know there was a ratio of 5.13. You need to tell me what colour gear you have now, the colour tells me how many teeth on the gear. Then we can work out what gear to use.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the GU's its easy mate. You can just change the speedo driven gear on the sensor. If you pm me the VIN of your car I can look up how many teeth is on the gear you have and should be able to point you to what you need to buy. The right gear should cost you under $50.
    Thanks again Mudski ... will do but will need to do in 3 months as away on work now .... I was going to look last trip home but got sidetracked by people telling me it reqd an electrical input adjustment .....I am thinking after your input it may be a trial n error deal with a few gears in hand.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Engism View Post
    Thanks again Mudski ... will do but will need to do in 3 months as away on work now .... I was going to look last trip home but got sidetracked by people telling me it reqd an electrical input adjustment .....I am thinking after your input it may be a trial n error deal with a few gears in hand.
    No it shouldn't be trial and error. There is around 6% change between each gear. So with the correct info at hand you should be able to select the right gear and get it pretty well spot on.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No it shouldn't be trial and error. There is around 6% change between each gear. So with the correct info at hand you should be able to select the right gear and get it pretty well spot on.
    Yep... on the money as always cobber

4.6 to 5.1 is a double step so two teeth difference.
    Having said that I also wasn't aware of 5.1 ratio and maybe the reason he needs the elec box is because no appropriate drive gear exists?
    Must be a 2.8 if it went from 4.6 to 5.1, do you know off the top of your head what gear the RD28 had as stock?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (28th March 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep... on the money as always cobber

4.6 to 5.1 is a double step so two teeth difference.
    Having said that I also wasn't aware of 5.1 ratio and maybe the reason he needs the elec box is because no appropriate drive gear exists?
    Must be a 2.8 if it went from 4.6 to 5.1, do you know off the top of your head what gear the RD28 had as stock?
    From the little research I have done, 5.13 ratio is an aftermarket option. New to me but its available apparently.

To be honest Engism might struggle with just using a speedo gear. Well it all depends on what gear he has. The tallest gear is 18tooth. I was running 4.3's and had the black 17 tooth gear. Then I went to 4.11's and Im now using the yellow 16 tooth gear. He will need to go the other way, more teeth. So with already running 4.6's, I can only assume he would have the blue 18 tooth gear already.

Edit : I just checked, there is 19, 20 and 21 tooth option. Never seen these for sale though. Just for reference the part numbers are 32743-74P19, 32743-74P20 and P21. The last number obviously denotes how many teeth on the gear.

There is hope.
    Last edited by mudski; 28th March 2019 at 08:31 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (29th March 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Very interesting this speedo teeth gear talk. Mine used to out by about 10ks @ 100 before going from a 265/70/16 to 265/ 75/16 tyre. Now only about 3 ks off the money @ 100 Don't know the 33's or 31's you mention only size wise. The tyre spec in the book pretty sure says that for India ( don't quote me) for sure but they go up to 265/85/16 tyre.

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12