OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 4.2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay fellow Patrolians, I am at the point where I am looking for a cab chassis to set up for an extremely remote trip. I have owned a ZD30 in the passed and not experienced to many issues, despite the reputation. This time around I am thinking a 4.2, is there anything I should know? Any serious issues? Do they have the same issue as the ZD?
    The Godfather

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the godfather View Post
    Okay fellow Patrolians, I am at the point where I am looking for a cab chassis to set up for an extremely remote trip. I have owned a ZD30 in the passed and not experienced to many issues, despite the reputation. This time around I am thinking a 4.2, is there anything I should know? Any serious issues? Do they have the same issue as the ZD?
    The Godfather
    Can’t personally fault the older ute stockish 4.2’s for your adventures needed I reckon GF mate, just ask Cuppa GU good bloke still out there!
    TD4.2’s are prone to overheating if not cleaned and looked after. Depending on your weight carrying needs the somewhat rarer coil sprung arse ends are super comfy. Leaf sprung beasts for serious weight touring will find you some near 400kg more legal.
    (Coily 3,040kg GVMish / Leafy 3,400kg GMMish IIRC )
    EDIT: Stock/factory weight figures roughly, some trucks out there have legal previously ‘upgraded’ plated to score if all above board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 23rd October 2018 at 10:20 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

the godfather (23rd October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight wise I am unsure. Canvas canopy, roof top tent, usual crap in the tray (fridge, recovery gear, extra fuel, water etc) along with a Kelpie (22kg) and the missus (45kg). I am refusing to tow a camper, had to many problems crossing desert dunes with a camper in tow in the passed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the godfather For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO GF mate, you should go for a Leafy.
    Buy price they are cheaper and reckon for touring Oz much more suited as you won’t need ‘flex’ as they say although is another benefit on coily’s yet massive load carrying legal loss.
    Use the the coin saved between the rarer of the two on a lowest possible km, well looked after 4.2 top simple tractor motor

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

the godfather (23rd October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    IMO GF mate, you should go for a Leafy.
    Buy price they are cheaper and reckon for touring Oz much more suited as you won’t need ‘flex’ as they say although is another benefit on coily’s yet massive load carrying legal loss.
    Use the the coin saved between the rarer of the two on a lowest possible km, well looked after 4.2 top simple tractor motor

I'd second that advice! Coils give a comfier ride, but for remote touring you really need the extra weight carrying capacity of the leafies. Of course it depends upon how remote & how long between resupplying as to how much weight you need to carry. Bear in mind though the weight adds up very quickly & you need to carry more if travelling solo in remote areas. When I set ours up initially I was confident we would be within the 3400kg, but it came in at 3700kg. I wasn't prepared to rip out all my work & start again to achieve the necessary weight savings so got the GVM increased to 3900kg - & we use all of that when we have all tanks full, although mostly we choose not to run at full capacity. We also travel slow, so stress the vehicle less.

With canvas canopy & a basic camping set up you will find it a bit easier to stay within the 3400kg, but will still need to be very careful, considering weight with *every* decision made. If your trip is going to be 'travelling to a schedule' then keeping weight to a minimum is even more important. Weight + speed in remote areas is not a good mix.

When you buy a vehicle I'd advise that you weigh it first up with nothing in it. You might be surprised at how little you have to play with, especially if you have a bullbar, winch & towbar fitted. An aluminium tray will also be worth looking for to save a few kilos.

Where are you planning to travel out of interest.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (24th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what vehicle you suggest?
    Trip will be from Perth to Coober Pedy. North from there to Alice (off the bitumen). Once I have a few red wines and a good rest we will head over to the Simpson and Lake Eyre. down to Port Pirie to catch up with family and drink.. A week there then head back to Perth along the highway. If I am knackered by then I will stop at Fraser Range station for a couple on nights. I like that little spot. Then home.
    Of course I am going with my folks and sister, all experience travellers around those areas. That said, highly likely we will change as we go. We always seem to get sidetracked.
    That trip aside I have a few trips between Cape Leveque and a little community near Gibb WA to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently got rid of my 2006 4.2 Wagon and got a 2005 4.2 Coily Cab Chassis to set it up as you are looking at doing.
    I found that compared to the wagon it is bloody rough but I sort of expected that, other that I am very happy with it.
    I have never driven a leafy but if it is rougher than a coily I am very glad I did not get one, once either of them get a bit more weight in the back I suspect they would be a lot smoother.
    There seems to be quite a few reasonable priced leafys for sale in WA.
    If you would like to take mine for a drive just let me know and we can arrange it no problem
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

the godfather (24th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the offer. I have driven a few though. I have also owned a few Cruiser Cab Chassis which are rough as guts and bloody uncomfortable compared to any Patrol (leaf or coil). Like you said, under load it will be better.