Thread: Another power loss question

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another power loss question

Hi, I'm James from Guatemala Central America, a first timer here to write. I've read all the power loss threads I could find but none answer my problem. I had driven 7 hours interior with no problems. When I shut down, the engine quit a little rough. Two hours later it started but was putting out clouds of eye-burning bluish gray smoke and the engine was running as if on 3 of its 4 cylinders. The next morning I cleaned the MAF but it did little good. We had to leave the 2005 ZD30Ddti behind. Later a mechanic found black bacterial matter plugging the entrance & exit of the filter, cleaned it out and changed the filter. The car worked fine for about 2 weeks and began similar symptoms. I ended up dropping the fuel tank, cleaning it completely in & out, replaced the plastic check-valve attached to the side of the fuel tank, flushed the lines, and put on a new hand pump/filter mounting assembly. It is not putting out clouds of smoke, but it still doesn't smell right and the car quits accelerating at 2300 RPMs. It has absolutely no power. I've considered the EGR valve, Throttle positioning sensor, vacuum pump, injectors, and injector pump but am at a total loss as to what I should do or in which direction I should turn. (The intercooler was replaced earlier this year and the MAF is new and I do not have any modifications such as a blocking plate for the EGR.) Help me please! I might add that I am the original owner, have maintained the car like a member of the family, and it has responded without problem for its 235000 Km. I would appreciate any voice of experience to speak out. Thanks loads.........

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the engine light is on, so reading the codes surely will be of some help. (maybe)
    Last edited by Santiago; 20th October 2018 at 05:07 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No power and 2300 RPM rev limit means it is in "limp" mode to me.

You could try disconnecting the Battery for at least 30 minutes to force the ECU to relearn if you haven't already done that.

If you can get an OBD fault code readout that will certainly help.

I've not owned a Di (my ZD30 was a Common Rail) but another forum member may have a better idea
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    injector pump is common failure point on the Di engines ive heard and done alot here where i work.
    im more familiar with the CRD though

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for those responses. I appreciate it muchly. Anyone else out there can weigh in as well, thanks. A great day to all of you....James