Thread: Springs and things....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Springs and things....

Hi All

My GU TB48 is sitting low on the driver's side. It has OME +2 springs and shocks (which well may have past their sell by date) but as far as I'm aware it's always been that way.

I've read that original springs are different sizes to stop the lean, but notice OME and other 'upgrades' don't seem to do different sized coils. Can anyone confirm that? If I'm to replace the springs, is there anything I can do? Spacers maybe, or just go back to original?

Many thanks

Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coils are generally 'positional', meaning the lengths are different for the location on the vehicle. If you have pulled the coils out of the vehicle, and stand them all together, there should be a difference between the passenger side and the drivers side. Normally the drivers side is longer due to that side typically having more of a constant load from the driver. Also, depending on the engine, torque thru the chassis typically transfers to drivers side rear corner, or at least that's what i have found. If the coils are the same diameter pass to drivers, and same coil pitch and the wire diameter is the same, and the lengths are the same,then the coils are buggered and you need new ones. If you were to swap say the pass side coil to the drivers side on a new set, your vehicle would be leaning noticeably. I think OME is a good product, have used them myself, but coils do fatigue and lose their height. If you are happy with the ride, i would go back to an OME dealer, as maybe is heavier also, and then have them tailor a suspension solution. I would not go back to factory original as these coils are typically set up to rise soft with nothing in the vehicle, and will immediately sit down squat with a box of napkins in the back! I have used spacers also, but more to gain some 'cheat height' rather than compensate for vehicle lean. You could go that way as its cheap and effective, however the simple comment is the coils have sagged either due to fatigue or load, so yo probably need to address that directly rather than apply a band-aid.