Thread: Your opinion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Your opinion

Hey all, probably a stupid question but i'm new to the 4wd scene and have fell in love with the look of the Patrol TD42 GU II. My question is, would it be a stupid idea to buy one as obviously the latest model is 06 so it's quite old or should I buy the 3L? Is there much power difference between the two? and are there many known issues with the 4.2 and the 3? Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of folks with 4.2's & 3.0's that are happy with their cars.

I chose an '06 4.2 at higher cost than I could have bought a later 3.0 for.

Why? I wanted a vehicle which was lower tech & less dependant upon computer sensors, making it more easily fixable in remote areas. I also like the TD42's reputation for longevity/keeeping on keeping on.

Those who are 'hardcore' about their 4wd'ing seem to prefer the off road characteristics of the 4.2. I've never driven a 3.0 off road, but I often think about how well my motor manages rough going.

They (4.2's) are getting older, but there are still plenty around with 200k or less on them, & they are generally thought of as being good for 500k+ without the need for major work.

It was the early 3.0's which had the reputation for 'grenading', most still out there seem to do ok, especially if treated to NADS mods (plenty on this if search this forum).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 11th October 2018 at 02:35 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TD4206 (11th October 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,308 Times in 6,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (11th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the community! PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would honestly go the 4.2 reason why are Easy to fix fully mechanical, driveline is bullet proof and they go good once ya put a tune and 3 inch dump and exhaust things can pull anything.

I may be biased as I own a 4.2 but the 3l i drove of my mates didn’t have that real torquey truck feeling.

Also if you want even more power you can get a 12mm pump I’ve not done this but seen some animals around with them not sure how reliable with that pump fitted they are with a bigger turbo but surely someone here would know.