Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marketing Stuff and Sex

Guys, I've got a bit of a request... I need some sounding boards so to speak, for a proposed marketing blurb to try and get the word out about our Expedition Boxes and want to know what you all think. The verbage is a bit risque (if that is how you spell that word... meaning possibly sexist... and topped off with references to anatomy), but my marketing mate, who I went to college with, who has no special skills in anything really, and probably shouldn't be trusted with anything to do with my business, thinks it is a great idea. Actually, I lie, he is a professional marketer...

Anyway, there is a series of box features that we want to get highlighted to the general public in short word flogs. Below is an example - I would love to know if you think this going overboard or a bad idea.

Have you ever grown tired of having to undo all your ratchet straps or ropes, to stuff your gear inside a box strapped on your roof rack? You know, when you are tired from that long drive and trying not to get covered in the road dust that's all over everything?

Well, we at Open Sky Touring had the same problems and decided we just wanted something better. So, what did we do? We built our own!! Enter the Expedition Box! It has dedicated tie-down points on the corners, so you don’t have to undo anything other than the latches. These tie-down points will work with ratchet straps, ropes up to 12mm, bungie cords and even steel turn-buckles and make the job that much faster. Want to tie down your box and stick your gear in it? Well try a good Aussie Box - at just the right price!

or...
    Have you ever been frustrated by the struggle to clean out one of those heavy roto-moulded boxes after a trip? You know, the ones where the weeks of dirt and dust and crud gets caught beneath the lip of the box and you have to sponge it out to get it clean again?

Our Expedition Boxes are super smooth inside with a flat floor for easy stacking of your gear and cleaning out at the end of some hard use. We think it is the best thing since sliced bread and so do many others. Everyone loves a smooth box that is easy to clean!

etc. etc. There are so many Box puns it is hard to keep them even semi-clean!

Thoughts?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

AB (10th October 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your opening paragraph, cringed a bit & thought "Oh Gawd, wotseegonnadonow?"

Then I read 1 & 2 & wondered why I'd doubted you.

The 'risque-ness' is mild enough for most to let it pass without noticing, & those that do will likely think it unintended, & that they had thought it themselves. Ha ha.

Despite that, one has to consider that my opinion is male, & that potential female buyers may have a different view.

Just ran it past MrsTea. She reckons most women wouldn't even notice the puns, (she didn't) but said men would 'cos it's something on mens's minds all the time!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (10th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ............. at least you didn't talk about "sticking your junk into a new box" ................

Either one of your choices are inoffensive to me.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only my opinion Ben mate and I am certainly not in charge of marketing in our game.
    Just reckon you’ve worked so hard to date in developing a quality product, wouldn’t cheapen it for quids if it were me.
    Technical specs, guarantees, customer tough tested references you’ll no doubt have soon Aussie Made Certified Mate!
    Commercial, Industrial & Military Services they could become for you we hope too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th October 2018), FNQGU (10th October 2018), jack (10th October 2018), mudnut (10th October 2018), Plasnart (10th October 2018), rusty_nail (10th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spoke to the wife who is a professional marketer, the thinks the first one is ok but the second probably too much.

Also she had asked who your target audience is? Do you think these type of ads will connect with them?

Maybe I'm wrong but both of your blurbs sound a little like an infomercial.

I think mark is spot on, no need to cheapen your product with gags mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th October 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...

You don't think we should re-brand and call ourselves "The Great Aussie Box" Ready for your gear? Loves to be tied down? Great tight seal and locked off from other buggers trying to get in?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Touses (11th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're gonna do puns, go the whole hog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfC_ZC44dg
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MB absolutely spot on for me. Couldn't say it better. Don't risk cheapening perceptions of your product by using borderline bawdiness. Just my opinion.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th October 2018), FNQGU (10th October 2018), jack (10th October 2018), MB (10th October 2018), mudnut (10th October 2018), rusty_nail (10th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a high quality product, that is well designed and thought out, and you should market it to people in the same way.

Drum home the name of the product in these blurbs too.

Aim at the mass market with broader terminology that will connect with a broader audience.
    Tell people how you are solving a problem that they have.

What about something like this?

Have you ever had to undo ropes or ratchet straps to get into a storage box you've firmly secured?
    The Expedition Box solves that problem with dedicated tie-down points on each corner, so you don’t have to undo anything, other than the latches, to effortlessly flip open the lid.

Have you ever been frustrated by the struggle to clean out a storage box?
    The Expedition Box has super smooth insides with a flat floor for easy cleaning and loading of your gear. The lid is also easily removable for cleaning, or to stack empty boxes together for efficient storage.

BTW, I ordered one on Monday. I can wait to test it out

Ash
    Last edited by Cremulator; 10th October 2018 at 10:01 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (11th October 2018), FNQGU (11th October 2018), Plasnart (10th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In light of other comments, I have reconsidered mine.

I think others are right. Don't take unnecessary risks.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th October 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast