User Tag List

Thread: 4 link GQ info please

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 link GQ info please

I'm just at the start of my Trol resto and would like to go 4 link at the back end.
    I'm also trying to weigh up the long arm thing ? Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?
    I'll be running 37s and mainly using it for trial competitions and PnP days
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you actually need to find out? 4 link suspension geometries and set ups, or just a long arm rear v 4 link
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 7th October 2018 at 09:23 AM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    What do you actually need to find out? 4 link suspension geometries and set ups, or just a long arm rear v 4 link
    Good question lol, I've found a good source of info for the 4 link geometry but trying to weigh up doing both.
    So if anyone of you learned patrol chaps have any first hand experience I'd like to hear about it.
    I "think" I'm edging toward a long arm 4 link set up .
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any 4 link based tech should have you starting with "Link suspension for dummies" on Pirate. Also try and find the Triaged link calculator version 4 I think it is now

Just installing a long arm kit is by far the easiest fabrication wise.

Any triangulated 4 link will see the need to remove and redesign the crossmember that the stock upper control arms bolt to for clearance. A double triangulated 4 link will will require modification of the crossmember near the transfer case output for you new mounts.
    You want your upper arms to be at a minimum angle of 40 degrees to provide lateral support once you remove the panhard rod and multiple mounting positions in your brackets to fine tune for personal taste.

Ideally you'll want to befriend someone with some race scales to get your corner weights, your exact Centre of gravity, sprung and unsprung weights to be able to enter exact figures into the calculator to help understand your own design and potential mistakes or changes required etc.

The problem with suspension is that absolutely everything is a compromise for some thing else and there is NOT a 100% correct way of doing it.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

makeitfit (12th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that , I guess I'm in that awkward early build position. I found that triag site and an American you tube guy explaining it in particular to do with rock crawling. Anyway I appreciate it's a body off and full refab of the suspension x member and mounting points. At this stage I'm edging toward a long arm style but with 4 link. I realise too it'll be a compromise but as you say multi hole bracketry and adjustable arms will allow some fine tuning.
    I'm trying to sort all the basic chassis mods and fixes before getting it galvanised.
    The joys of old skool salty sea dog winter roads :/