Thread: What size intercooler for my Td42

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Yeah get rid of the thermo fan and the bonnet brace and there is a heap of room mate.

The thermo fan is only used to keep the ac cooler whilst stationary but even still mine works fine without it.

Slightly annoying trying to get your bonnet to latch on sometimes but it's worth it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    haha yeah nar i put the thermo fan there because i live in an area where it gets to 50c in the shade lol. iv actually had the car boil its head off sitting still stuck in a gully with the aircon on (forgot to turn it off) before i even turbo'd it, as for cutting the bonnet latch mount i like being able to see through my windscreen without a bonnet in the way lol. iv seen bonnets come up before because of broken mounts and they make a mess!! and thats before you run into a tree lol.

Thanks anyway mate Im thinking i might just chuck this small one in for now and then put a water to air inter-cooler in when i do the bigger pump. hopefully i can get a small enough radiator the fit just on one side behind the grill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of guys running front mounts without the bonnet lelatxh support. I removed mine in the GQ and the GU.

You could also consider raising the baxk of the bonnet using washed on the bonnet hinges to let some of the heat out too. Works great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (28th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    There are plenty of guys running front mounts without the bonnet lelatxh support. I removed mine in the GQ and the GU.

You could also consider raising the baxk of the bonnet using washed on the bonnet hinges to let some of the heat out too. Works great.
    Raising the bonnet at he back sparked interest with me. What washer thickness gave the "great" result and what was observed?

Thinking it may also reduce some of the heat transfer into cab (passenger side) from exhaust. Today, fitted some 40mm O/S dia x 2.6mm, thick SS washers between hinge upper face and bonnet. With JT cooler sitting above the CRD, the bonnet actually closes better. No heat shield over 3" dump pipe and the good wife is commenting about the heat. "need to demonstrate that the mods are all good and worthwhile...-"
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Raising the bonnet at he back sparked interest with me. What washer thickness gave the "great" result and what was observed?

Thinking it may also reduce some of the heat transfer into cab (passenger side) from exhaust. Today, fitted some 40mm O/S dia x 2.6mm, thick SS washers between hinge upper face and bonnet. With JT cooler sitting above the CRD, the bonnet actually closes better. No heat shield over 3" dump pipe and the good wife is commenting about the heat. "need to demonstrate that the mods are all good and worthwhile...-"
    Hi mate, i have seen guys pack the back up 10mm or more to create suction or negative pressure at the back of the bonnet. This reduced engine bay temps and overall temps considerably. Cant quote from umbers though sorry. Ive never done it personally.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, i have seen guys pack the back up 10mm or more to create suction or negative pressure at the back of the bonnet. This reduced engine bay temps and overall temps considerably. Cant quote from umbers though sorry. Ive never done it personally.
    Thanks mate, might give it shot in increments. Propose to measure temps differential across hot/cold side tanks of JT cooler, option here to look at engine bay variations as well longer term.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did this on mine a long time ago.

I think I raised it around 8mm.

One thing you can also do is sticky tape little pieces of string around the rear and sides of the bonnet and just under the bonnet and experiment with different heights by driving around and checking the air flow with the strings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (31st October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, been using some of that plastic 1/2" strapping as a feeler strip (folded) for clearance measurement. Will drive a bit and lift incrementally. Reminds me of an old mates FJ with a 202 fitted.

When I tie the tip of my one piece surf rod with 1/8" cord to top rail of bull bar, it really dances around. Not sure how to it will show flow variation at back of bonnet but certainly give that a go.

Warm cabin here in winter is no problem, just the warmer months are raising concerns (topic of conversation U could say).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Yeah, been using some of that plastic 1/2" strapping as a feeler strip (folded) for clearance measurement. Will drive a bit and lift incrementally. Reminds me of an old mates FJ with a 202 fitted.

When I tie the tip of my one piece surf rod with 1/8" cord to top rail of bull bar, it really dances around. Not sure how to it will show flow variation at back of bonnet but certainly give that a go.

Warm cabin here in winter is no problem, just the warmer months are raising concerns (topic of conversation U could say).
    You might be surprised at the direction of wind at the back of the bonnet. it is a Low Pressure zone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (31st October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might be surprised at the direction of wind at the back of the bonnet. it is a Low Pressure zone.
    Thanks Darren and Andy,

Update on raising back of bonnet to help evacuate some of the eng bay heat to reduce the heat transfer into cab passenger side.

Had to do a short notice drive 700ks down to Peninsula (Melb) on weekend, left Friday arvo arrived 3am(Sat). Was a real hot day and I asked the good lady several times how was she finding the heat on her side and all seemed OK(this was good). There appears to be a noticeable difference in cab temp by raising back of bonnet and this was only by 3-4mm. Was going to make a spacer plate and lift more but will wait a while and see how all goes.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th December 2018), PeeBee (14th December 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12