OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Hi Lift Jack Mount on Roof Top Tent Rack?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lift Jack Mount on Roof Top Tent Rack?

Hello all!

I'm currently trying to work out the best way to mount a hi lift jack on an Adventure Kings roof top tent rack.

I've tried to MacGuyver a bracket set up in conjunction with a regular cage mount system, with an extra steel bar under the rack for extra support, but the issue I'm trying to eliminate is that cage rattle/bounce when going over bumps/corrugations.

I've attached some pictures of what I've cobbled together so far, but any input would be welcome.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Uuuummm... not trying to be a smarty but I would sell the high lift and buy an airbag.

If you are using a RTT I am assuming you aren't towing a camper/van so no need for a Hi lift for them.
    You don't have a rear bar so only point you can use is tow hitch and that is really unstable.
    On teh side you can use the wheels with a 'wheelmate' but that jack ends up really close to the body
    Front Bar I can't see but if it doesn't have jack points then that rules out everything but the wheels.

Airbag you can use almost anywhere (hot exhaust and fuel lines aside) and HEAPS easier, safer and quicker.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

DSPRADO (26th September 2018), GQtdauto (26th September 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Uuuummm... not trying to be a smarty but I would sell the high lift and buy an airbag.

If you are using a RTT I am assuming you aren't towing a camper/van so no need for a Hi lift for them.
    You don't have a rear bar so only point you can use is tow hitch and that is really unstable.
    On teh side you can use the wheels with a 'wheelmate' but that jack ends up really close to the body
    Front Bar I can't see but if it doesn't have jack points then that rules out everything but the wheels.

Airbag you can use almost anywhere (hot exhaust and fuel lines aside) and HEAPS easier, safer and quicker.
    Spot on. Those High lifts should be banned. I managed to talk a young kid out of buying an Aldi branded high lift a while back after showing him photos of what happens to a cheap high lift, and then pics of what happens when using a decent high lift, but the wrong way. Needless to say his dad who was with him told him no way and go buy an exhaust jack.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

DSPRADO (26th September 2018), GQtdauto (26th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the top blokes above mate!
    Have nearly taken my jawbone off with copy versions handles some 20years ago and damaged wagon panels in between too (Toyodas thankfully)!
    Strike me down but still own 2 x ‘Hi-Lift’ quality versions and do find them invaluable on paddock work, trailers and my steel ute tray arse end only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

DSPRADO (26th September 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies, everyone!

I have ordered myself an exhaust air bag jack and will relagate the hi lift to the shed. Small price to pay, but invaluable lesson learned!

I'll keep the mounts on the back of the RTT Rack for the shovel, and they'll work well to keep my recovery tracks in place when I get them on the rack.

Eventually I'll be getting a RTT as the missus and I are keen to take the kids on a Flinders Ranges trip, but that will be in a year or so.

Still learning my way around the Patrol and offroading, so thank you all so much for your input and help!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pleasure to be able to assist... and... IMHO this is THE place to be for that rare commodity of free advice that is also good advice :-)

Nothing beats a camping trip in a well setup Patrol with the family.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

DSPRADO (27th September 2018)