Thread: JT Cooler Induction Noise (H/Flow under load) - Game changer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

JT Cooler Induction Noise (H/Flow under load) - Game changer

Also to share the Joy - 08 CRD Engine mods commenced 12 mtns ago to the day. Started out with doing research of posts mainly across this forum and was provided sound advice from various members that I was able to build on. Thanks.

Current build is CRD with NADS / ECPT ECU remap / Procharge stage 3 H/F turbo / Jonny TIG cooler / Fabwitz induction (air box and ducting/cold side) and run a max boost 25psi - All up the engine performs very well but am experiencing an air rushing sound (ringing), possible being caused from the induction air/turbulence passing thru the JT cooler at high velocity and hitting up against the 3mm aluminium cooler side tank (cold side). Noise is mainly evident when under solid load / above 18 psi boost, it is not an issue just tripping around but for the long distance driving it is a bit of a drone. The procharge pushes approx 30% more air than stock Garrett M24 turbo.

My interest is to some how suppress this noise a bit, maybe use some form of sound deadening by wrapping of the side tanks, Any ideas?

Background, may be of interest:

Went over to visit Jon (Jonny Tig Industries/Adelaide) a couple of weeks back with my new JT cooler and frame in hand. Needed to identify the mod needed for the frame to suit the GU IV CRD build variations, eg: different A/C and brake line routing and the various induction to turbo inlet hook ups. Worthwhile trip. Jon fitted up cooler and scoop for me a as part of activity.

CC ultimate and JT coolers are very similar in design. JT cooler uses a single 50mm x 90 deg elbow fitting from turbo to cooler (very compact), stock ducting for cold side to inlet manifold with a core size of 606x300x76mm/welded tube & fin with an under slung 10” spal fan.
    Eng is very driveable and currently running max boost 25psi. Hauls/lugs really well for the 4 cyl. Torque low down is pleasing, EGTs have dropped significantly eg: under load hauling up a test hill that I use, 4th gear holding boost 20-22psi, dropped from 525 to 425 deg C and this is achieved with new 33" M/T where I had 31.5" BFG A/T before cooler install (525 degC). Good spool and pwr response rate and very linear. Approx 1 deg drop max across cooler (from sea level to 600m). The heat differential across cooler is significant (eg: to the hand, feels like a very hot cup of tea (hot side) to just warm (cold side).

Will confirm performance output on dyno after some more work and currently achieving nom 150rwkW(200hp) / 378N-m). Readings from onboard Ultragauge and have compared the gauge readings against past results achieved from ECPT dyno actual results so values should be close to actuals (YTBD)..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bidja; 25th September 2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th September 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Bidja. The big cross country intercooler has the same effect. After my cooler got fitted I'd have sworn it was leaking air badly but it was just sound rush noise especially under load.

There have been people out there who attempted sound deadening approaches.

For example.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...6&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Bidja (25th September 2018), mudski (25th September 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

JT Cooler Induction Noise (H/Flow under load) - Game changer

Don’t t quote me on it but I do think that the welder from CC left and went out on his own. JT sounds familiar. And yeah. You should sit in my Patrol and have a listen. 30psi of rushing air drones out the 4inch snorkel induction noise by a lot.

Sent from my crapPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 25th September 2018 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hodge, thanks for the link mate. Read thru and noted the mounts (last post) looks good..Will give it a go.

https://alexnld.com/product/4pcs-m8-...tor-mounts/?eb

I have reduced some the original cooler noise level by doing a few things(more to be done):

The stock 45 Deg elbow used to connect the turbo to cooler (limited room/only one elbow used), had kinked at the elbow bend and made for a flow restriction. Trimmed length and now conforms well, slight noise reduction and improvement in spool/pwr response under load especially 4/5th gear..

The cold side of cooler uses the stock ducting for install and the top joiner sleeve ID is slightly larger than the cooler outlet. Clamp would not hold joiner solid (possible boost leak), so bought some good quality clamps, used two and now good there.

Also found that with the different induction rates from using different size pipework and coolers, the AFR ratio must change and causes different noise level effects. Yes, the ECU can manage AFR variations and adjust fuel rate accordingly.
    With the VNT stage 3 turbo, have achieved some favorable results in performance and some reduction in cooler noise by adjusting actuator rod length using a gauged vacuum hand pump. Tune to EGTs and kW/N-m produced.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Don’t t quote me on it but I do think that the welder from CC left and went out on his own. JT sounds familiar. And yeah. You should sit in my Patrol and have a listen. 30psi of rushing air drones out the 4inch snorkel induction noise by a lot.

Sent from my crapPhone using Tapatalk
    The owner of Jonny Tig Industries (Jon) did weld and was heavily involved in CC. Has moved on and doing some good work.

Induction cold side, especially 4" snorkel drawing away would play with the sound mix. Have noted that my induction is a lot quieter with the JT cooler than when I was using the ADRAD stock size cooler, maybe due to less vacuum on cold side of turbo as the JT cooler has high flow attributes. Do not hear the same level turbo spool song, even doing muffler delete and w/muffler back to back comparo. Run 76mm induction might look at doing a JT 4" airbox and SS snorkel. Maybe a new stereo, I want one..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

mudski (25th September 2018)