Thread: Steering Story

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Steering Story

Just had my first issue with this Patrol driving back from work.
    Doing about 110km when the front end started vibrating all over the place so pulled over and had a quick look around. Nothing dripping onto the road, all the tyres looked good and the car was still sitting square. However it was very wet around the steering pump area.
    Started up and managed to drive home slowly for the last couple of km with no noticeable issues except the steering started getting tight as I pulled into my drive.
    Next morning I had a good check around and found the power steering reservoir to be empty so topped it up and with the help of a friend turning the steering wheel managed to locate the leak.
    High pressure pipe coming from the reservoir was leaking from the swaged connector, but only when the steering was turning.
    After unsuccessfully trying to find the part number online I removed the pipe and went down the local Nissan parts shop. Ten minutes later I walked out with a new pipe and crush washers at an equivalent AUS$120 cost. Fitted the new pipe, flushed and bled the system and all’s good so far. Just need to steam clean the area now.
    End to end including my friend driving me into town took about 3 hours to fix, I’d hate to think how long a garage would have had it for.

White 2007 Patrol Safari 4.8 @ 209,000km

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Land Of Sand For This Useful Post:

Lawrence (18th September 2018), Touses (18th September 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement