Thread: GU Help needed - water under vinyl

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Help needed - water under vinyl

Hey peeps so I recently bought a DX GU, the one that has vinyl flooring, and went out to play in the mud. I drove through a massive puddle and the muddy water level was above the bottom of doors. The car must've stayed there for maybe 30 secs.

Anyway to my surprise all of the insulation fluffy foamy thingy underneath the vinyls got all soaked up in water. After removing the side floor panels I can actually squeeze out some of the mud by squeezing it by hand, but it is still very damp, it won't dry out, and it's starting to smell.. I tried putting moisture absorbers from bunnings under the vinyls but they won't seem to absorb anything..

Any advice how I should go about drying this out?

Also WTF, is that even supposed to happen? I thought that would be waterproof! or could the water have got inside through the firewall?

I see people crossing rivers and ponds and all, surely they don't ruin their interiors all the time!?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look underneath wherever the water got in and check the condition of any rubber grommets and bungs
    Check the door seals and under the scuff plates as well.

No vehicle is waterproof and they all have a "wading depth" of "not very much"... 700mm for a Y61
    If you go deeper it is on you as far as the designer is concerned
    Last edited by the evil twin; 12th September 2018 at 06:26 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this on mine

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only ways to dry that matting out are 1) leave it gutted for a long time out of the weather, or 2) tear it out and air dry it, or 3) tear it out and replace it with something that is closed cell and not water absorbing. Have a look at the Jing ping thermal and acoustic insulation. Its good stuff I hear, but there are alternatives to that as well. I had a similar issue and tried to work around it, but ended up ripping it all out as it stunk.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your suggestions,

PeeBee, yeah I think you're right, I'm probably gonna end up ripping it out and replacing it by some waterproof insulation ... I tried to rip it out from under the driver seat, but the amount of glue really makes it a hard job, Its impossible to get it all out in one piece...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to be hairy to a degree however depending on how particular you are, you could rip it out, let it dry out then attack it with a sanding disk to strip off what remains. If not, I would get some paint, anything would do, and slap it on to seal the fibers so they cannot get wet again, then apply the different material on top.