OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Speedo not working intermittently.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedo not working intermittently.

'06 DX Cab Chassis - GU2

Works fine on smooth roads, but has started working intermittently when on corrugated roads. Rev counter is fine, but ODO & trip counters may cease to count whilst the speedo is not working. I'm assuming a dodgy speedo cable or a wiring connection come loose. Can anyone suggest where I should start to look?

We are camped approx 90 minutes north of Broome with no phone reception so will have to wait until our next visit to town to catch your replies.

Thanks in advance,

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No speedo cable mate, will be wiring or instrument cluster if intermittent as the sensor will either work or it wont or outside chance the drive cog thingy is worn.

Wave at my young bloke if you see him on his way to Beagle Bay (White Ranger Dual Cab with 'Carey Training' livery
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Belated thanks ET.
    I looked at the wiring diagram & determined that the problem had to be one of 3 things, a loose connection on the rear of the gearbox, a loose connection on the rear of the instrument cluster or a damaged cable. The latter seemed unlikely & the rear of the gearbox was easier to access than removal of the instrument cluster. I found two wires with bared ends twisted together & a connector which was hanging loose. I retwisted the wires together & cable tied the connector so it can't move around. Problem solved. Speedo now working consistently again.

I did also wonder about cracked solder on the instrument cluster circuit board, but discounted this because of the pattern of failure/working. Same thought applied to any drive cog thingy.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 26th September 2018 at 10:24 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (26th September 2018), pearcey (27th September 2018), the evil twin (26th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rofl... typical Kimberley fix... tad hot up there at the moment I hear
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Rofl.. tad hot up there at the moment I hear
    Not between 5:30am & 7:30am.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Belated thanks ET.
    I looked at the wiring diagram & determined that the problem had to be one of 3 things, a loose connection on the rear of the gearbox, a loose connection on the rear of the instrument cluster or a damaged cable. The latter seemed unlikely & the rear of the gearbox was easier to access than removal of the instrument cluster. I found two wires with bared ends twisted together & a connector which was hanging loose. I retwisted the wires together & cable tied the connector so it can't move around. Problem solved. Speedo now working consistently again.

I did also wonder about cracked solder on the instrument cluster circuit board, but discounted this because of the pattern of failure/working. Same thought applied to any drive cog thingy.
    Good to see you learning a new trade.LOL
    Safe and happy times Mr Cuppa and Mrs Tea.