User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ash's 2004 Patrol GU III TD42ti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome build, the quality of your work is excellent!
    Trade background or ocd?😀

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (15th December 2019), Reddave (15th December 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickhead View Post
    Awesome build, the quality of your work is excellent!
    Trade background or ocd?
    OCD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Reddave (15th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reverse camera
    I originally bought a cheap $10 camera from China but it wasn't wide angle enough, so I got a Kenwood CMOS-130 for $45.
    After much research on where others had mounted a reverse camera on their patrols, the main issue many encountered was the spare wheel obscuring half of the view.
    I decided I would mount mine above the bumper between the barn doors.This tucked it out of harm's way and allowed vision under the spare wheel.The cable came straight out of the rear of the camera so I need to drill a hole in the panel seam and Dremel a slot to feed the cable through.I ran the cable up under the body and through an existing grommet under the carpet and taped it in place.I mounted the camera to the car with the supplied bracket screwed to the panel seam. Here it is fixed in place.The trigger wire for the head unit needed a reverse wire signal, 12 volts when reverse gear is engaged, which is located in the passenger footwell.
    The yellow wire in the large plug. I removed the connector from the plug and soldered the wires then covered with heat shrink.The head unit allows configuration of the parking lines. This is the view from the camera after I had adjusted the parking lines to the parking space.This is the view from the outside.And this is reversing until the gutter becomes just obscured under the bumper from the camera view.
    Only about 150mm from the gutter to the spare wheel.I used the cheap $10 camera to mount on the front bumper to allow me to see forward too. Some 3mm aluminium flat bar made good spacers.Here it is from the front on the 3rd from the left bumper vent.Front view on the screen.And this is the front of the car in relation to the parking lines.
    Last edited by Cremulator; 29th December 2019 at 03:26 PM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (29th December 2019), MB (30th December 2019), Mickhead (30th December 2019), mudski (29th December 2019), rusty_nail (29th December 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice. I just replaced my rear camera with an eBay cheapo and its not very good. BTW I have mine mounted just above the rear number plate and just under the handle to open the rear door. Makes it great when hooking up the trailer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (30th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Nice. I just replaced my rear camera with an eBay cheapo and its not very good. BTW I have mine mounted just above the rear number plate and just under the handle to open the rear door. Makes it great when hooking up the trailer.
    Most of the cameras don't seem to be very good. Even the Kenwoods picture is average quality.
    I did look at mounting mine in the same place as you mentioned, but found that the spare wheel obscured too much of the view for my liking.
    Reversing to a trailer will make such a difference I'm sure!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent write up again! I just set my ebay camera up with the cheap ( but surprisingly good ) android 99 buck head unit. FCUK me, the camera they sent me is not mirrored, objects on passenger side shows up rhs of screen! Waiting for another camera.
    Might just copy your work from now on!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mickhead; 31st December 2019 at 06:55 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (30th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can usually set the mirroring of the camera in the head unit itself.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made a bracket to mount a fire extinguisher in front of the passenger seat.
    Started with a cardboard template.
    Test fitting mounting position and tracing the bracket height.
    Translating the cardboard template onto a scrap piece of aluminium.
    A little refining and voilą!
    Testing mounting position and marking the bracket.
    Fixed the bracket on with some flat head bolts with slim hex nuts on the back. Cut the bolt length down with an angle grinder.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (16th March 2020), BrazilianY60 (4th May 2021), Hodge (15th March 2020), MB (16th March 2020), Mickhead (16th March 2020), mudski (16th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crafting decals
    I thought since the only place my GU has Patrol written on it is on the rear barn door, some scoop decals would look cool.
    As I didn't really like the ones I found online (and the Patrol wording was in some totally different font) I made my own.
    Starting with a photo of the rear logo and tracing it on the computer.
    I then printed some paper mockups and test fitted them.
    I bought some matte black vinyl online, stuck the printed template down and cut it out with a craft blade.
    It looks ok, but being hand cut its pretty rough.
    I'm going to get it done properly with a vinyl or a laser cutter. Good to see roughly the end result though and I'm pleased knowing how it will turn out.
    Last edited by Cremulator; 20th March 2020 at 08:48 PM.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (4th May 2021), Hodge (20th March 2020), MB (14th December 2021), Mickhead (21st March 2020), mudski (20th March 2020), Touses (23rd March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under rack table slide

I really liked the Front Runner stainless camp tables and their system to mount it underneath the roof rack.

I already had a full length tracklander roof rack that came with the car, so I couldn't really justify buying a whole Front Runner rack system just to easily carry a table under it so it was time for some measuring and problem solving.

I ordered a stainless camp table and locking latch from Front Runner knowing that I would have to resolve how I could mount the latch to my rack with a totally different profile.

With the table delivered I was able to confirm the thickness plus some marine carpet padding and work out the size of some aluminium track to suit.
    I found 40mm x 40mm x 3mm would be perfect with a 34mm ID for the 26mm thick table and 4-5mm thick marine carpet.
    I tried my luck at Bayswater scrap metal and fortunately found a 3m length for $24!

Test fitting to work out length and mounting points.
    Mounting to the underside of the rack I made some short pieces from 25mm x 4mm steel to hang inside the U channel of the rack frame. A coat of rust prevention on both sides for good measure.
    I had to counter sink the bolts so that the table wouldn't hit them.
    I glued some marine carpet for the table to slide on, along the base and side.
    Mounted the rails loosely to get the width position correct with the table in place using nylock nuts on top of the metal cross pieces.
    Then I could position the latch, work out where it would sit and how I needed to fix it to the rack.
    Turns out the latch needed to be 10mm higher than the edge of the rack so I used some 10mm x 50mm flat bar and replaced the button bolt with a countersunk head from the underside.
    This allowed me to mount the latch flush with the outside edge of the rack.
    I was then able to check the depth of the table and make some end stopper plates using a small section of the U channel with one side cut off.
    Here it is with the table in place!
    And from the top. Doesn't really interfere with tie down points.
    Worked fantastically for our camping trip over the weekend!
    Last edited by Cremulator; 14th December 2021 at 01:24 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

jff45 (15th December 2021), MB (14th December 2021), Touses (14th December 2021)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast