Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ash's 2004 Patrol GU III TD42ti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ash's 2004 Patrol GU III TD42ti

Hi everyone, my name's Ash and I live in Melbourne. I just got my first Patrol at the end of July and I'm loving it.
    This is my first 4x4. I got it as a tourer to take my wife and our two young girls away on trips.

It came with a few goodies on it already, like the roof rack, Mickey Thompson classic II rims with 33s (285/75/R16), old man emu shocks, bull bar, spot lights, snorkel and a turbo back 3inch exhaust.

First mod I did was the rear barn door extension bracket.
    I've also put in a flash lube catch can, which I'll share some photos of.

This forum has been very helpful so far.
    Thanks,
    AshPSX_20180909_193315.jpegPSX_20180909_193144.jpegPSX_20180909_193240.jpegPSX_20180909_211207.jpeg
    Last edited by Cremulator; 14th September 2018 at 08:17 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

AB (10th September 2018), Hodge (9th September 2018), MB (10th September 2018), MudRunnerTD (9th September 2018), threedogs (29th October 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate. Car looks great. We have an active Victorian group mate. Lots of young kids. What part of Melbourne. Good choice on the car. Looks sweet.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers! I live in inner north-eastern Melbourne, but enjoy camping at the Murray and Boisdale near Maffra when we get the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We do a few Murray trips too mate so keep an eye out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (11th September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some photos of the catch can install. Before:
    IMG_20180828_130941.jpeg
    After:
    IMG_20180911_154434.jpeg
    IMG_20180911_154423.jpeg
    Custom bracket made from 3mm x 40mm flat aluminium bar. All using existing mounting holes in the car. Two points on the large flat black bracket and one threaded mount point in the body.
    IMG_20180911_154546.jpeg
    IMG_20180911_154618.jpeg
    Drain line fixed to the body, but easily removable to drain oil into a container for disposal.
    IMG_20180911_154703.jpeg
    IMG_20180911_154853.jpeg
    I had to use a few hose size converters as the catch can has 19mm inlet/outlets, the breather is 12.5mm and the intake is 16mm.
    Last edited by Cremulator; 14th September 2018 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual Battery Install:

Ok, so this has taken a few months to complete in stages, but I'm really pleased with the outcome seeing as I've never done anything like this before.
    I have a mate who is a mechanic that gave me lots of good advice and answers when I was unsure about something.
    Hopefully some of this info can help others if they want to attempt this modification.

This is a list of all the parts I bought with itemised prices to do the dual battery install and run power via Engel/accessories sockets in the cargo area.

From Nis4x4 wreckers:
    ARB dual battery tray $80

From Jaycar:
    Powertech dual battery isolator kit 140A (on sale) $99
    ANL In-line Fuse Holder $14.95 ea x 2
    ANL wafer fuse 100A $8.95 ea x 3
    100A Circuit Breaker $26.95
    RED 4GA OFC Super High Current Power Cable 6m @ 9.95 per metre $59.70
    8mm Non-Insulated Eye Terminal 25mm2 - Pk 4 $3.95 x 2
    Heatshrink 10mm x 1.2m Red $2.95
    Heatshrink 10mm x 1.2m Black $2.95
    10mm Loom Tube - 10 metres $15.95
    6 Way Blade Fuse Block - Spade Terminal Connection $18.95
    IP67 Rated Dome Pushbutton Switch Red $4.95 x 1

From eBay:
    Narva 81141BL Heavy-Duty Twin Accessory/Engel Type Sockets $30.95

From Supercheap Auto:
    Century Deep Cycle Battery - N70T, 102Ah $315

Free scrap aluminium from metal scrap yard.

Various bolts, lock nuts and nutserts from my local bolt shop (far cheaper than bunnings).

The battery tray was filthy, but cleaned up alright.

It took a little bit of manipulation to get it to fit snugly with the factory mounting points.

I created cardboard templates of the three brackets I needed to seat the isolator unit and two fuse blocks. This was time-consuming, but I tried to utilise existing mounting points in the engine bay.

I had to drill and rivnut this point on the chassis to mount this bracket, but the rest I managed to use existing bolt holes.

I wasn't sure exactly how much cable I would need, so did a rough measure of 3.5 metres to reach the rear of the car and added some more length for running earth leads and another power source around the centre console, and bought 6 metres.
    Jaycar were out of stock of 8AWG, so I bought 4AWG.
    I ran it through the firewall on the passenger side via an existing hole with a rubber grommet, then through the channels in the floor and into the cargo area via the wheel arch using some yellow tongue.

Insulating the cable that runs through the firewall with a loop drop to prevent water running down the cable and into the cabin.

To make a template for the Narva sockets I popped the sockets put of their plastic frame and traced the holes, then measured the centres and used a hole saw to drill out 38mm holes.

I did this on a piece of plywood, test fitted the sockets and screwed them in place to make sure the holes I drilled in the interior trim would line up. I used it as the template to trace onto the trim.

Then it also formed a backing plate to firmly screw the sockets to as the trim panels are not very thick. I bought some longer 25mm screws to really hold in the plywood.

Lastly, the isolator has an override, so you can wire a switch to manually trigger the isolator to connect the two batteries, which allows jump starting from the auxiliary battery if the main battery is flat.
    I ran the earth wire to the body and fixed it to a factory earth point and also made up a second earth lead to run to the engine to facilitate jump starting from the auxiliary battery.

In the cabin I mounted a momentary push button switch that connects the batteries when it's pushed in and disconnects when released.

I bought some sticker sheets from Kmart and designed and printed a label. It took a few tries to get it lined up. Next time I'll buy bigger stickers and cut them out.
    Last edited by Cremulator; 23rd March 2019 at 10:36 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd March 2019), Mickhead (24th November 2019), PeeBee (23rd March 2019), Reddave (15th December 2019), Rossco (17th December 2019), rusty_nail (23rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great write up mate!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (23rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Great write up mate!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Cheers!
    Coming up with a good solution for where and how to mount the fuses and isolator took me longer than it should have, but they are rock solid and out of the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Cheers!
    Coming up with a good solution for where and how to mount the fuses and isolator took me longer than it should have, but they are rock solid and out of the way.
    Well done mate. Nice neat install. It always takes longer to do it right and nice and neat, but at least you won't be doing it twice when you decide you're not happy with it.

Only thing I would recommend as a future upgrade is a good DC-DC charger instead of the solenoid. They do the job but I went through a few aux batteries over the years with intermittent charging issues (when you really run them down) before I finally bit the bullet and splurged on a charger. I reckon I've already made my money back in the money I've saved on buying batteries and it's much easier to tell exactly where your battery is at watching the charge voltage. I noticed especially with the patrol my second battery was never getting a good charge, and when it was my main battery seemed to be down.

Just my 2c mate. The isolater will serve you well for the short term.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (23rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, good advice. I must admit, as I've been installing all this I've been reading about the Redarc DC battery chargers. I may well upgrade to something like that in the future.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast