Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent Reserve tank light, park break and battery indicator

Hi all

I've just bought a 2005 Patrol, the previous owner installed a new dash, turbo timer, can catcher and the EGR block mod - The Reserve tank light, park break and battery dash indicators come on whilst driving intermittently, I suspect a loose or bad connection. Is anyone aware of an electrical connection common to all these or have any other ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks

Cheers

Mick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mick, check the wires to the alternator. I have had that twice and both times alternator went out soon after. Also if you can, check your charge voltage as if the regulation in the alternator goes faulty you can charge at 15 or more volts and kill your battery as well. I drowned my truck in water once and drove home with charge at 19 volts. Had no option had to get home. Cost me a battery as well as the alternator. I tried driving with lights and aircon and everything else on but didn't help.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in regards to The Reserve tank light on some say poor earth the the sender in the 2nd tank.. some try running an earth from the battery direct to the sender or clean the earths..
    i work at a nissan dealer and we tried that once with no success and ended up pulling the sender out of the 2nd tank and found the float arm had separated from the sender assembly.. solution there was buying a new 2nd tank sender assembly.
    possible cause was rough roads.

some also say the sub tank light might come one for about a minute on start up as the sub syphons a small amount of fuel on start up to the main tank to keep the pump from never being used. my 2008 light doesnt come on though

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Run an new earth lead from the gear box to the chassis. Sounds like a bad earth issue, maybe?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Hi Mick, check the wires to the alternator. I have had that twice and both times alternator went out soon after. Also if you can, check your charge voltage as if the regulation in the alternator goes faulty you can charge at 15 or more volts and kill your battery as well. I drowned my truck in water once and drove home with charge at 19 volts. Had no option had to get home. Cost me a battery as well as the alternator. I tried driving with lights and aircon and everything else on but didn't help.
    Thanks I will look at that - They all come on/off at the same time so it is definately something common to all 3.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick from Mandurah For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (7th September 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    in regards to The Reserve tank light on some say poor earth the the sender in the 2nd tank.. some try running an earth from the battery direct to the sender or clean the earths..
    i work at a nissan dealer and we tried that once with no success and ended up pulling the sender out of the 2nd tank and found the float arm had separated from the sender assembly.. solution there was buying a new 2nd tank sender assembly.
    possible cause was rough roads.

some also say the sub tank light might come one for about a minute on start up as the sub syphons a small amount of fuel on start up to the main tank to keep the pump from never being used. my 2008 light doesnt come on though
    Yeah sub tank light comes on at startup with just aboit everything else, I understand that is just a bulb check on startup. Thanks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I'll have a look at that....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As posted by others...

Those three warning lamps illuminating are absolutely classic signs of an Alternator issue.
    I've never seen or heard of it to be anything else but that... however always a 1 in 100 it is something else.
    Can be internal to the Alternator or the sense wiring.

Give the Alt connections a good going over and also check the 100 Amp fusible link and the 7.5 amp fuse in the under bonnet junction box for loose/ corroded connections
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (8th September 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I will have a look at all these... Let you know how I go... Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was bugging me for a long time until the alternator finally caved in. Turns out it was the alternator & after replacing the alternator my charging is back to 13.8 - 14.1 from 12.8 etc and no more intermittent flashing lights sub tank, park brake etc

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk