OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: A bushwalk into Hell's Gate (with video)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bushwalk into Hell's Gate (with video)

Recently decided to see if my ageing body would be up for the challenge of a historical walk from near Laura (Cape York) following a trail that the old miners took with their wheelbarrows, through and up to the top of the Laura escarpment country to Hell's Gate.

24 long kilometres in a day, with the last part being near vertical scramble to the top.

This one is on Indigenous land though, so appropriate permissions are required if you think you might want to give it a crack.

A link to the blog with a half-arsed video by yours truly, including sound effects that sound like I'm sucking in the big ones at the end, is below.

https://openskytouring.com/4wd-touri...ng-hells-gate/
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

AB (31st August 2018), GQtdauto (30th August 2018), jack (30th August 2018), MB (30th August 2018), mudski (31st August 2018), Touses (31st August 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hells gate was a favourite of ours but not sure I'd walk that far bloody good effort , interesting history around that place .

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not an easy walk either. In some places we were scrambling to find the track at all, despite the fact that previous walkers have put a system of small stone cairns to help out. GPS, compass and topo were used constantly and it has been a while since I have used those skills.

Satisfying to make it to the top though, and the view is pretty decent. Well worth it.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (31st August 2018)