Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery and Smart Alternator

So how "smart" is all this?
    I've had the Y62 for 2.5yrs and finally it has got to me seeing the battery at times as low as 12.0V.
    Never had any trouble starting the car but seriously doesn't invoke much confidence should I park it while the Batt is that low for any length of time and expect all to be well.
    I dis-connected the current sensor but haven't done any real trips as yet.
    Anyone had any dramas following the dis-connect? DTC's, fuel consumption etc.
    First time ever I saw the resting voltage at 12.7V after a quick drive, while running seeing between 13.8 to 14.5V.
    Do have a winch, which I am new to such things, and does put my mind at ease that the battery has best capacity to operate it should it be required, then recharge fairly quickly (30sec on then 30sec off).
    Look forward to others' experiences.
    Cheers BruceR.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Bruce
    I haven't had my Patrol very long only done a little over 7k , I disconnected the shunt on the battery earth after the first couple of tanks of fuel , it doesn't appear to of made any difference to fuel economy.
    My ScanGauge shows a constant 14.2v . I do have a Winch but haven't used it in anger yet .

We did just over 1700k last weekend all bitumen roads , I drive at the speed limit where possible
    ( GPS so true speed ) fuel average 13.3lt x 100k , first drive after fitting the Rhino Bar and Winch .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate was having trouble with his C-Tek charging system not doing the job(in a Navara). The charger needed 13.6 v before it started the charging of the Aux battery & as the "Smart Alternator" was not keeping the main batt at this voltage & the Aux was not being fully charged. Advised him of the "Green wire mod" & this solved the problem & he reports there is no change to fuel consumption or any other problems.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    Just been on a 400klm trip for work and will be interested to see the resting voltage of the Batt in the morning.
    When I fill up will see what fuel figures I get as well, I hear that no one has seen any difference but will need to see for myself before I make a call.
    I've not used the winch in anger but used it hooked to the wifes FJ and skull dragged it (the Y62) to tension the first couple of layers on the drum. This was with the sensor attached OEM style and I noticed that the battery was OK but expected the alternator to kick things up a bit more than it did. For a real need winch application you'd want the batt to be in best possible state and to recover quickly while the motor is going. Hence why I thought I'd disconnect and see. Seems to sit around 14.1V after a while with the engine going, used to see 11.8V frequently.
    VK2FMIA how do you find the IC7000? What sort of antenna setup do you run? I am VK3FLI but debating about wether to set the car up or not. Just cannot bring myself the just a UHF CB only. Have a TS2000 but a bit big and a TM-D700, would be nice to have a single unit that does it all.
    Cheers BruceR.
    Last edited by bjrow; 30th August 2018 at 08:58 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My battery was at 12.72 V , after sitting over night with one multimeter , my other multimeter was 12.66 .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The alternator wire was disconnected on my Y62 when I got it. It's now done 100,000km and I've had no issues with charging. I run a 130AmpHr gel battery in the back under a false floor where the 3rd row of seats were through a Projecta DCDC converter. Also charge a 120AmpHr gel battery in the Camper Trailer. The battery voltage when the motor is running is 14.4V.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrow View Post
    how do you find the IC7000? What sort of antenna setup do you run?
    Great bit of kit with plenty of features. I use a Terlin "Outbakka" & a LDG 100+ tuner as I use wire antenna`s when out portable. Made some great contacts into the US & Canada with only 10 watts (40m) on the Terlin. The antenna has copped a hiding over the 8 years I`ve had it & still going strong. Mate uses the same setup but with a IC-706M2g.

I think Bushcom has taken over Terlin.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the odd engine light since I disconnected just fix it with the ultragauge
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kevin07 for the heads up, will monitor with the new ScanGauge2 and see if anything odd, so far so good.
    Did a trip to Ballarat and back, got same fuel eco as some of the Melb runs hilly country then onto Eastlink, get off into Melb metro etc. so maybe it sucks a tiny amount when doing constant highway speeds.
    In fairness too, the posted speed on the way to Ballarat once out of Melb is 110, damn thing just wants to gooo......
    Will leave disconnected and look at the results over some of our more frequented cycles before a firm judgement is made.
    Nice to have a charged battery tho.
    Cheers BruceR.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just completed a trip to Geelong and back, 316kays in all. Gotta love the Ring Road....what a mess that is with the roadworks.
    Filled up in the morning and refuelled on my return at same servo and pump. 11.97l/100klms so pretty happy with that, car computer says 8.0klm/l.
    Have done this trip a few times in the past and much the same result as when the "smarts" were hooked up, although I now have bar, winch and 2" lift.
    I do ease off from being stopped (grandpa style) and get to the sign posted limit. Definitely the figures would be quite different if city driving tho.
    Did just put a Scangauge2 in so will check if any fault codes as per Kevin07 above, so far so good.
    Cheers BruceR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast