Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 777 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lead Crystal Batteries?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with lead crystal batteries?

I need to run medical equipment at night which runs off 240VAC. I have a 300W inverter and an old lead acid deep cycle battery which won't do so I'm looking for alternatives.

AGM and traditional lead acid batteries I don't think will have enough time to charge between night times, so I'm looking at the lead crystal batteries as I've read they can charge 2-3 times quicker.

I'm keen to hear from anyone with any experience with lead crystal and any recommendations people may have, about people I can get in touch with to purchase from.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,723 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10G, I think you should be looking at capacity and DOD (depth of discharge) instead of focusing on charge -re charge rate unless you only have a tiny window of opportunity to work with. @Cuppa might be able to chime in as he runs some critical gear thru the night as well and easily recharges it via a combination of solar and running the car. Unfortunately I have never heard of lead crystal batteries. The charge up time will be directly relative to the DOD, and if your charge rate and controller are suitably sized you may be OK. What capacity are you looking for and what is the envelope size you are putting as a maximum size? What is your charge controller, or dual battery system and does it do multi stage charging? What is its charge rate?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the med equipment is but I run my CPAP machine off a 35AH Aldi battery quite happily. Charge it up for a few hours via solar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (19th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Not sure what the med equipment is but I run my CPAP machine off a 35AH Aldi battery quite happily. Charge it up for a few hours via solar
    Hey Clunk, a CPAP m/c is exactly what I am needing to run so any tips would be greatly appreciated. The m/c we have requires 24V at 3.75 amps.

Also, I have pretty much nothing 2nd battery wise ATM. I have a 5 year old Century lead acid battery and a Redarc SBI12, no solar panels, so I'm open to any suggestions for panels, chargers, batteries and so on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Hey Clunk, a CPAP m/c is exactly what I am needing to run so any tips would be greatly appreciated. The m/c we have requires 24V at 3.75 amps.

Also, I have pretty much nothing 2nd battery wise ATM. I have a 5 year old Century lead acid battery and a Redarc SBI12, no solar panels, so I'm open to any suggestions for panels, chargers, batteries and so on.
    Hey mate I don't use anything fancy. The cpap machine I have is. Resmed Airsense10 and connect it direct to the 35ah aldi battery using the resmed dc converter https://www.perthcpap.com.au/product...v-dc-converter

120W Solar panel is again an Aldi jobbie

I tend to not bother running the heated tube and humidifier when running off a battery... Just to save some juice.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

10G (20th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (20th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I don't use anything fancy. The cpap machine I have is. Resmed Airsense10 and connect it direct to the 35ah aldi battery using the resmed dc converter https://www.perthcpap.com.au/product...v-dc-converter

120W Solar panel is again an Aldi jobbie

I tend to not bother running the heated tube and humidifier when running off a battery... Just to save some juice.
    Hey Clunk, how many nights do you get out of the battery with the humidifier and heated tube off?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Clunk thanks for getting back to me.

We have exactly the same machine. I came across all the cpap info this evening in a few threads on a US cpap site. Looks like I'll be doing exactly the same as you, the Resmed converter, a battery and some way to recharge the battery.

Leads me to another question.

I have a lead acid battery as my aux battery and it is hooked up to a Redarc SBI12 isolator. How could I hook the cpap battery, up to get recharged, can use that SBI12 some way????
    Don't think the SBI12 would do the job, unless you disconnected the 2nd battery first

Hey Clunk, how many nights do you get out of the battery with the humidifier and heated tube off?
    Easily a couple of days on the 35Ah battery... But to be honest I haven't actually seen how far it can go without being charged.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah bit no one cares if you stop breathing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead crystals need to be charged at 30% of the batteries capacity compared to 10% which is standard for other batteries. So if you get 100 ah battery it needs 30 amps going into it to charge properly. This is a fact stated by the manufacturer.
    They are more expensive and in my mind not worth the extra money and I have found they don’t charge noticeably faster.
    Your either better off with an agm or a quality Gel like a Sonnenschein or go all out and buy a lithium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th August 2018), PeeBee (19th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Agree

I would go Lithium with built in BMS to keep the cells balanced.
    Last a poo poo lot longer, much lighter and can be around 1/2 the AH rating of AGM for what you want so smaller as well.

EG quality 120AH RV batteries (IE 100 Amp or less max current) are well under $1,000 bucks now... crankers are still a bit dearer

Here is the small discussion from last year... I still reckon either AGM or Lithium and give the Crystals a miss
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...stal+batteries
    Last edited by the evil twin; 19th August 2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (19th August 2018)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast