Thread: GQ Door not opening, kinda?

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Door not opening, kinda?

Weird one. Front passenger door wont open using the inner handle, but if I pull the other handle inwards towards centre of the car, whilst at the same time pulling open the door handle itself, the door will open.

The outer handle opens the door just fine.

Any thoughts on what might be up? Going for a RWC Friday and figure they might pick this up, so hoping it's not going to be a PITA.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, whilst I've got everyone's attention.

I also need to adjust the handbrake. I've read this can be done by whipping out the rubber bung, jack rear diff up, turn bung to 6 o clock, and lever the adjustment cog inside.

My question is, which way? Does the cog need to go up to get tighter (so i'd be levering the screwdriver down), or does the cog go down (levering the screw driver up)?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Weird one. Front passenger door wont open using the inner handle, but if I pull the other handle inwards towards centre of the car, whilst at the same time pulling open the door handle itself, the door will open.

The outer handle opens the door just fine.

Any thoughts on what might be up? Going for a RWC Friday and figure they might pick this up, so hoping it's not going to be a PITA.
    Seems to me the door lock its stuffed. Take the trim off and see if all the connecting rods are attached from each handle. Maybe the lock just needs a clean and lube up?

Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Also, whilst I've got everyone's attention.

I also need to adjust the handbrake. I've read this can be done by whipping out the rubber bung, jack rear diff up, turn bung to 6 o clock, and lever the adjustment cog inside.

My question is, which way? Does the cog need to go up to get tighter (so i'd be levering the screwdriver down), or does the cog go down (levering the screw driver up)?
    Not sure on the Q but the GU's there is two way off adjusting. There is the adjust on the drum, usually when using a adjuster lever you need to pull down, making the cog turn up wards for adjusting the shoes out. But if the cable is stretched under the lever is an adjuster nut which you can take the slack out of the cable.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @mudski. Got it all sorted last night.

The door turned out to be pretty easy. The rods run along a track (just plastic clips to guide it along the path). One of the clips had broken, so the rod was essentially taking a shortcut, and not getting the full range of motion at the latch when the handle was maxed out.

Quick fix with a shifter and vice grips to put a slight bend in a part of the rod, essentially shortening the rod. Tested fine afterwards.

Also did the handbrake. I can't remember which way was which lol. But can't turn the tailshaft by hand at 3 clicks. Can pull to 7 clicks if I really yank it. Hopefully the rest of the car will be sweet with RWC, but tidying the little things up where I can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

mudski (28th August 2018)