Thread: Turbo Upgrade / Advice - TD05 to Garrett

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo Upgrade / Advice - TD05 to Garrett

Hi everyone!
    It’s been a while between posts (again) but I’m looking for some advice / info / clarification...

Can’t remember if I posted about it on here but a couple of years ago now I managed to melt some pistons in my patrol. I got it rebuilt and at the same time (based on some advice from a friend) I got a 12mm pump upgrade with a fuel compensator... I also currently have the MTQ turbo kit which comes with a TD05 turbo.

Long story short I want to give the patrol a bit of a birthday and spoke with one of the MTQ guys at the 4x4 show in Melbourne and he told me that the TD05 was way too small for a 12mm pump and would be at its limits before anything useful... he suggested I may need to look at one of the Garrett turbos they sell...
    This may explain why the car dumps diesel hardcore when I take off...

So my questions are-
    * should I upgrade? Or is he giving me bad advice?
    * if so what is the easiest upgrade? Garrett? Will it work with the rest of the kit I already have?
    * what else should I look at or consider?

Also thinking about getting an inter cooler (thinking cross country) so I guess this is worth bearing in mind...

Sorry, I know I’ve rambled a bit but hopefully some of you smart folk can make sense of it and give me some advice...

Ben
    1999 GU DX 4.2L | UFI 18g Turbo | Cross Country Intercooler | 2" Lift | 33" BF Goodrich KM2s
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries, can, and do kill people and damage property...No Excuses!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bloke. Can't say Iv'e had any experience with the TD05. Running the Garrett 2863r or 2864, can't remember which.
    It's gated fairly mildly, squeezing just on 16 psi at super full noise. With the EBC doing what it should with the boost compensator on the pump I've got 166 hp at the wheels.
    It's not snap your neck fast but comes on smoothly and from fairly low down. Very tractable on my donk, balanced brekky time to a'hole. Super satisfied with it. Can't remember what it cost
    but did seem fair value.

Hope this helps
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

relyimah (28th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the Borg warner EFR range of turbos. The EFR 6758 or 6258 will suit you nicely. These turbos work incredibly well on a variety of different setups.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

relyimah (30th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Have a look at the Borg warner EFR range of turbos. The EFR 6758 or 6258 will suit you nicely. These turbos work incredibly well on a variety of different setups.
    Thanks mate, I'd seen a few comments about these but know nothing about them... I'll see what I can find and do some comparisons.

I'm not looking for a comp truck but just something that actually goes when I push the pedal. Ironically at the moment my original setup (with the standard 10mm pump) was more responsive
    1999 GU DX 4.2L | UFI 18g Turbo | Cross Country Intercooler | 2" Lift | 33" BF Goodrich KM2s
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries, can, and do kill people and damage property...No Excuses!