Thread: MQ Petrol Guage.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MQ Petrol Guage.

Hey, they are still floating around. Still got mine.

This question should relate to any vehicle so hopefully anyone can help me on this one.

the fuel guage is playing up.

it may as well not be working but now when the tanks full it shows on full on the guage but when its empty it only shows 3/4 full on the guage.

Nightmare to judge how much fuel you got left when travelling long distances.

Has anbody had this prob, can you fix it yourself or is it more techincal than that?

Cheers guys, any help would be great!

It's like the reader has possibly moved and not reading the fuel level properly. Havent done anything yet, i found this site and thought someone might have experienced it b4.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely sounds like the fuel sender is having issues. At first, I always think "electrical" but being an MQ I'm tipping that there isn't a hell of a lot of electrical stuff on it! I could be wrong..
    I don't know too much about fuel sender/floats, but I picture it a bit like the float in your toilet sistern.

Fuel Sender Explained
    Showing the fitting of a fuel sender
    Explains removal
    More installations/replacements

Hope that helps a bit.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when its low on fuel gently tap the sender with a plastic tipped hammer it may well just be stuck.

Just a thought

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending where you live there are instument specailist that cat test sender. If all else fails I have petrol sender available. Say $20.00 + post

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine only plays up in the cold. normal? Or have i bought a duck egg?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meakinelli View Post
    mine only plays up in the cold. normal? Or have i bought a duck egg?
    you must remember meakinelli, that yours is not ancient, but is an old truck, so things like wiring gremlins will possibly be there.
    time and patience can fix anything - with a little knowledge on what your doing helps (are you mechanically minded, or electrically minded?)

when yours plays up, is it sticking, or going erratically all over the place?

I am guessing that Locks got his fixed, as there is no new replies from him about this
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, yes I realised the amount of problems it may produce when I bought it. It sat at zero for a while but then shot up. Hasn’t done it since the snow melted. I am actually a helicopter technician flying with the air ambulance. Sounds silly but they are miles apart. All black boxes and self diagnosing equipment. No rust, oil leaks or taping with hammers required. Half the reason I bought the bugger was to have fun playing with it and restoring the bits that go wrong.
    Jm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it probably sat at zero, as it had been sitting for awhile, the fuel (petrol or diesel) has a small amount of varnish like substance in it. with it sitting for awhile, the varnish has dried out, and stuck the needle on the rheostat (think of a pencil, with copper wires wrapped around it tightly, then a needle passes along the edge, giving the reading to the dash gauge)
    the major problem with ALL fuel gauges, is the previous user......
    best way is to fill, and then use till nearly empty, then re-fill
    most people fill, then use till about 1/2 full, then re-fill
    thats why sometimes you think it has used the first 1/2 of the tank quickly, and the 2nd 1/2 slowly
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put myself out from these situations by getting along my fuel carrying essential with me, I never go out without my Desert Fox Fuel Bladder on Long Trips. This has been my companion for a long time. I recommend you to stop getting nightmares to judge how much fuel you got left, just buy one and enjoy your long trips.