Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 769 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    Lithium shouldn’t be used under bonnet because it’s BMS has a temp compensation program. Agm/ Gel/ Lithium and even Lead Crystal all like to operate in cooler temps for longevity. These sealed batteries really on micro recombination of its electrolyte, the hotter they get the quicker they dry out. Remember heat equals resistance to a charger. The hotter the battery the more resistance so more amps go into the battery and can cause what’s known as Thermal Runaway.
    When we sell batteries to data rooms for UPS they are in air conditioned rooms set to between 25-27 c. This give the batteries the best chance to last 5 - 10 years
    We have seen many times that when the air con fails the batteries get too hot and the charger goes crazy to the point the batteries catch fire.
    Enerdrive is a good company and can build you a custom battery. I know the owner personally. Ask them for information based on your needs and they will tailor make something for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ^^^^ What Yeti said x 2.

I wouldn't put a Lith under bonnet at all and only put a 2nd battery under the bonnet as an absolute last resort unless you want it for winching.
    I might also add I only use fully maintainable SLA's under bonnet (Caterpillar to be exact)

Battery Isolation I like Redarc for simple solutions, Intervolt for programmable apps

Solar I like Intervolt, Victron, Morningstar and Tracer but the best rule is you get what you pay for... I like those 4 'cause I am used to them

Combo DC/DC Solar for reccy vehicles hard to split Redarc and Ctek.
    DC/DC only I like Intervolt and FWIW I have had a suprisingly good run out of some Powertech (Jaycar) gear.
    Enerdrive have a cracking reputation and I have yet to use their gear but if Yeti likes them that works for me

I am starting to go off Ctek as they have let others catch or pass them esp in their Mains Chargers

Bottom line is Redarc, Intervolt and Victron (and I am sure Enerdrive) have excellent tech and customer service so it's hard for me to change away and therefore make a call on a lot of other brands as I haven't laid a hand on them.
    Thank you both for your very useful information.

I rang up Enerdrive and spoke about what I was wanting to do. The Enerdrive chap said I'd need the $3500 200AH battery, so I ended up doing more homework.

It looks like I'll be able to get away with a much smaller AGM (maybe lithium, not sure) battery and just changing a few settings on the cpap machine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how much the machine uses and how long you use it for. If your going to use inverters etc remember they chew up the power. Did you say it was 24 volt?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Hey Clunk, a CPAP m/c is exactly what I am needing to run so any tips would be greatly appreciated. The m/c we have requires 24V at 3.75 amps.

Also, I have pretty much nothing 2nd battery wise ATM. I have a 5 year old Century lead acid battery and a Redarc SBI12, no solar panels, so I'm open to any suggestions for panels, chargers, batteries and so on.
    Hey mate I don't use anything fancy. The cpap machine I have is. Resmed Airsense10 and connect it direct to the 35ah aldi battery using the resmed dc converter https://www.perthcpap.com.au/product...v-dc-converter

120W Solar panel is again an Aldi jobbie

I tend to not bother running the heated tube and humidifier when running off a battery... Just to save some juice.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

10G (20th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (20th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just tent it and dont have a camper van. Might be an idea to have a chat with Cuppa and see what sort of set up he has in his Tvan, I think his cpap is a devilbliss intellipap 2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

10G (20th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Clunk thanks for getting back to me.

We have exactly the same machine. I came across all the cpap info this evening in a few threads on a US cpap site. Looks like I'll be doing exactly the same as you, the Resmed converter, a battery and some way to recharge the battery.

Leads me to another question.

I have a lead acid battery as my aux battery and it is hooked up to a Redarc SBI12 isolator. How could I hook the cpap battery, up to get recharged, can use that SBI12 some way????

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    It all depends on how much the machine uses and how long you use it for. If your going to use inverters etc remember they chew up the power. Did you say it was 24 volt?

Yep, it's 24v, but I found out that manufacturer makes a converter so you can run it of a 12v battery, about $120, so I'll go that way.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Clunk (20th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (20th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Hey mate I don't use anything fancy. The cpap machine I have is. Resmed Airsense10 and connect it direct to the 35ah aldi battery using the resmed dc converter https://www.perthcpap.com.au/product...v-dc-converter

120W Solar panel is again an Aldi jobbie

I tend to not bother running the heated tube and humidifier when running off a battery... Just to save some juice.
    Hey Clunk, how many nights do you get out of the battery with the humidifier and heated tube off?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it's 24v, but I found out that manufacturer makes a converter so you can run it of a 12v battery, about $120, so I'll go that way.
    Cool, you don’t want to use the inverter. I have one in my camper and my daughter used it to charge her laptop over night and took heaps of charge from my batteries.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Clunk thanks for getting back to me.

We have exactly the same machine. I came across all the cpap info this evening in a few threads on a US cpap site. Looks like I'll be doing exactly the same as you, the Resmed converter, a battery and some way to recharge the battery.

Leads me to another question.

I have a lead acid battery as my aux battery and it is hooked up to a Redarc SBI12 isolator. How could I hook the cpap battery, up to get recharged, can use that SBI12 some way????
    Don't think the SBI12 would do the job, unless you disconnected the 2nd battery first

Hey Clunk, how many nights do you get out of the battery with the humidifier and heated tube off?
    Easily a couple of days on the 35Ah battery... But to be honest I haven't actually seen how far it can go without being charged.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Not sure what the med equipment is but I run my CPAP machine off a 35AH Aldi battery quite happily. Charge it up for a few hours via solar
    Yeah bit no one cares if you stop breathing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th August 2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast