Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    Stop snoring and your problem is solved lol
    If your ever near Roweville , pop into MPower and have a chat to them.
    I work for them in Qld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Roweville's quite a way away from my home ground. Thanks for all your help mate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (24th August 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help & advice.

Is it possible to charge a battery via a charger plugged into an inverter within the car?

My thinking is I have a 100AH aux battery and an inverter that runs off that. I could plug my charger into the inverter and charge my cpap battery as I drive.

I know that's a round about way of doing things, but I have 3 weekends before we go away so time is getting very tight to buy stuff and get it fitted in time.
    Only just seen the thread- we are having very intermittent reception on the road.

I run a CPAP machine, wghich runs natively off 12v (no conversion losses) of AGM batteries - uses only 20 to 25 amp hours per night using minimal humidification & pulse dose rather than heated tube.

Easily recharge each day from either solar or Dc to Dc (or both).

For fast charging Lithium (LiFePo4) is best but still not cheap to set up. Has the advantage of being lighter weight batteries too.

Using an inverter run off the crank battery to run a battery charger to charge an auxillary battery is what everone used to do before Dc to Dc chargers came on the market. I did this successfully for years. One disadvantage is that you have 240v in the car when driving. Potential risk of electrocuting folk trying to cut you out of the car after an accident if the 240v cable becomes damaged. Risk is best minimised by keeping the Inverter to charger cable as short as possible, & maybe having a sticker on the outside f the car warning of live 240v.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (27th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Only just seen the thread- we are having very intermittent reception on the road.

I run a CPAP machine, wghich runs natively off 12v (no conversion losses) of AGM batteries - uses only 20 to 25 amp hours per night using minimal humidification & pulse dose rather than heated tube.

Easily recharge each day from either solar or Dc to Dc (or both).

For fast charging Lithium (LiFePo4) is best but still not cheap to set up. Has the advantage of being lighter weight batteries too.

Using an inverter run off the crank battery to run a battery charger to charge an auxillary battery is what everone used to do before Dc to Dc chargers came on the market. I did this successfully for years. One disadvantage is that you have 240v in the car when driving. Potential risk of electrocuting folk trying to cut you out of the car after an accident if the 240v cable becomes damaged. Risk is best minimised by keeping the Inverter to charger cable as short as possible, & maybe having a sticker on the outside f the car warning of live 240v.
    Hey Cuppa, thanks for chiming in with your knowledge.

Running the inverter off the crank battery, I'd not thought of that, not a bad idea. I think I'll go with a lithium 125AH battery and a BCDC1240D and maybe even a solar blanket, got nowhere for panels on the roof.
    Last edited by 10G; 27th August 2018 at 12:19 PM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went to bite the bullet and get a lithium battery etc etc yesterday, got to the checkout and just couldn't do it. Couldn't justify the expense.

I'm going with Cuppa's idea and am running the inverter off the crank battery. I think this will serve me well for a while, it's certainly saving me lots of $$$$'s.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Avo (29th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (28th August 2018)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345