Thread: Power needed swb gu

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power needed swb gu

Hi shortly relocating to QLD from the UK I am planning to bring a 2003 GU SWB (called a GR in the UK) with me
    It currently has the ZD30 engine only option available here.
    Which route would you guys recommend put a 4.2 into it or increasing the power in the ZD30 is there a big difference in cost / reliability etc I know the 3.0 has a bad rep there but can it be modified made more reliable ? Which option would give better value for money ?
    It is daily low mileage 44k mile (70k kms) Going to be a daily driver as well as weekend toy may do a few trips in it. Any advice welcome any thoughts

ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON WHO SHOILD DO THE WORK ON IT IN IMG_8865.jpgQLD (BRISBANE)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going from a ZD to TD myself, as a daily, the ZD is way better to drive. The motor is zippy, boosts up early and fast like a diesel car engine would, perfect for around town. As for reliability. The ZD does't have a good rep. But theres plenty around here in OZ that have well over 300k on the clock and still going. I bought mine with a rebuilt ZD that had around 70thou on the clock after the rebuild. I did another 80 on it before the pump went. I did the TD swap, removed the head on the ZD and number 4 piston had a crack in it, already.
    As for better engine components for the ZD, I believe they exist.

Having said that, I love the TD in mine, I would never go back to a ZD now. But mines not a daily too. I doesn't bother some people about a TD daily, it doesnt really bother me TBH, Im just stating the differences having both motors in the same vehicle.

As for value for money. save your coin and drive it until it dies, then do a transplant. IMO, dont spend a cent on the ZD. Unless you are adamant you want to keep that motor.
    Last edited by mudski; 16th August 2018 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,918 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate nice one that's awesone. I regards to the motor comes down to personal choice really. The ZD although does have a bad rep is a good little thing and think they go pretty well. TDs come into their own in steep off road stuff where they've got plenty of torque low down. To get them quick will need to spend a fair bit of coin on turbo, fuel pump, intercooler and intake but the do have plenty of potential. People also like them for outback touring because they have earnt a reputation for being very reliably. Having said that plenty of ZDs gong strong out there my folks one has done 350 thou although are getting a compression test done ad is getting a bit rough I the cold mornings, still done well tho totally stock and towed a van everywhere. . .

Comes down to what you want i have a TD in the GQ and is awesome in the bush just be prepared to spend a bit on it to go down that path.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk