Thread: GQ Patrol Drivers Door Power Window Fixed With Pictures

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Patrol Drivers Door Power Window Fixed With Pictures

Hey Guys,

This issue has been discussed/resolved in various threads on the forums but thought it might be good to put in one writeup with explanation and pictures so that anyone else struggling with the issue can find help easily.

The issue:

-The drivers door power window will either not go either up or down, possibly not move at all in either direction. The issue may be intermittent (as it was with me), will mostly start out of the blue not with the window winding getting gradually poorer over time, and it is likely that all other windows will function perfectly from the drivers door switch panel.
    -This is assuming you have not blown a fuse or something, your wiring is in good order, your switch is working and the mechanical winder mechanism is not jammed up/broken and have sufficient power reaching the wiper motor.
    In my case I could assume these as my windows were operating normally and stopped all of a sudden, and as mentioned it intermittently would kick in and work as if it was brand new.

Fix:

From the hours of scouring the web I deduced that this was the most likely cause, this should be attached to your winder motor (or floating around the door somewhere if its come undone). This unit is an amplifier of sorts for the power window in the drivers door to allow the automatic up and down with just one click function. Luxurious and high tech stuff!! A replacement unit will cost you 200-400 bucks new which is just obscene! Unclip it from the wiring harness to inspect it closer.

IMG_3658.JPG

-As you can see from photos my amplifier unit has been hacked into before so see if you can make a tidier job of getting the cover off as it will help keep it together afterwards and you may damage the circuit board inside.

IMG_3659.JPG

-Once you have the circuit board out of the cover take a good torch and have a real close look underneath at the condition of all the solder joints. There will possibly be 1 or more cracked joints, or corrosion, or very dirty etc. And check the components of the circuit board for anything that looks damaged.
    -Carefully re solder any of the bad joints and hit it with a little electrical parts cleaner to remove any grime that may have built up in there.

IMG_3662.JPG

-I also carefully touched up the 8 contact points for the harness with some fine grit sandpaper, along with the contacts on the 2 coils.

IMG_3660.JPG

-Once you're happy with the condition of the circuit board its ready to re install. One step you may want to consider is to connect the circuit board and the small cap you removed to the harness before the cover goes back on. I tried this and noticed that the harness wanted to pull away from the contacts which could lead to a bad connection and me pulling the whole thing back out again. So I reenforced the join here with some electrical tape, being careful to keep away from other components and where the cover will sit. Now it doesn't jiggle around and pull out of the harness like before.

IMG_3665.JPG

-Put the cover back on and mount the amp unit securely to the winder motor, if its not secured properly at this stage you may as well not have bothered with the earlier steps as its likely to come loose or something very soon.

Hopefully upon testing you will be victorious! If not at least its a free avenue to explore before handing over your hard earned cash

I followed these steps and my window is working better than it has ever before.

Cheers
    GQ Patrol, TD42 NA, 33's, Snorkel, 2" inch lift, Dual Batteries, Roof Rack, Awning... Many more to come

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ashmccormick For This Useful Post:

bushnbash (20th February 2023), MB (16th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (15th August 2018), mudski (15th August 2018), Nixon (3rd February 2020), Plasnart (16th August 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement