Thread: Do I need adjsutable panhards?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so looking around I see there are upper and lower control arms and front and rear panhards. The control arms are offered in adjustable as are some of the lower. Also there are upper control arms with a bend to clear fuel tanks. i am assuming I don't need the bent upper adjustable units as the factory straight ones dont hit the fuel tank now? Is it complicating the setup by having the control arms adjustable or simply go for the +11mm units for the 2-3" lift range? Do I ned to change the upper control arms at all?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Phil, you can get away without replacing the uppers IMO, although just as thin are shorter so stronger and out of harms way enough not to pose an issue. I had a bit cut out of my tank to clear the upper but if yours is clearing probably will be fine if not a bent one is an easier away to do it. My lowers are fixed but longer and would be fine for yours i reckon . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (15th August 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks guys, Just had a good talk with darren and the order of play from his perspective is 1) lower trailing arms, 2) Drag link behind front diff, 3) tierod in front of front diff, defer the front and rear panhards for now. This bloody car is a money sinkhole!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th August 2018), Rossco (15th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, thanks guys, Just had a good talk with darren and the order of play from his perspective is 1) lower trailing arms, 2) Drag link behind front diff, 3) tierod in front of front diff, defer the front and rear panhards for now. This bloody car is a money sinkhole!
    good list mate. Drag Link is in front of front diff from Steering box to Left Hub and the Tie Rod is behind the front diff from hub to hub to keep the front wheels pointing the same way.. Any dramas dont hesitate mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, This bloody car is a money sinkhole!. . .
    Really ?, must have bought the wrong one mine hasn't cost me a cent . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rossco; 15th August 2018 at 07:49 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (15th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (15th August 2018), mudski (15th August 2018), PeeBee (15th August 2018), Winnie (15th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This bloody car is a money sinkhole!
    Yeah Ghee mate! My GU has cost me next to nothing to own. especially the last 3 months. Been sooo good.

My GQ is a whole other League!! I have not driven that for 4 years so thats been good. Rego alone comes in at $2500......Dont tell the missus i spent $2000 on the winch....(This time) or the 24v setup, or the 3 new batteries, the XR Seats and adapters, the 37 Treps that have not been on the road yet (they have been great! The idea is that if you spend big coin on expensive tyres they will last you say 5 years and then they are cheap! I'm 4 Years in! They where nearly free! ) . Imagine if i had to put Diesel in the bloody thing!!

Hey i got did i tell you i got 175RWKW out of the GU..... LMFAO . BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Might buy a Toyota cause apparently they never break and have enough power....
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th August 2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (15th August 2018), Rossco (15th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bloody car is a money sinkhole!

Hahahaha. Just wait until you start replacing the already replaced parts for even more improvement. Then going through it again chasing personal ideals
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th August 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Hahahaha. Just wait until you start replacing the already replaced parts for even more improvement. Then going through it again chasing personal ideals
    I think my requirements are a lot different to yours somehow! I have not bent or broken any of this gear and its been out and about since 1997. I am not saying it is absolutely required, however what I am hearing is more insurance before it happens or lessening the impact of an event. Right now its another $750 for stuff that isn't broken, hence the hesitation.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my requirements are a lot different to yours somehow! I have not bent or broken any of this gear and its been out and about since 1997. I am not saying it is absolutely required, however what I am hearing is more insurance before it happens or lessening the impact of an event. Right now its another $750 for stuff that isn't broken, hence the hesitation.
    Nah $750 pretty good for the insurance perspective. Thats cheaper than buying just 1 of my shocks
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

MB (15th August 2018), PeeBee (15th August 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, so looking around I see there are upper and lower control arms and front and rear panhards. The control arms are offered in adjustable as are some of the lower. Also there are upper control arms with a bend to clear fuel tanks. i am assuming I don't need the bent upper adjustable units as the factory straight ones dont hit the fuel tank now? Is it complicating the setup by having the control arms adjustable or simply go for the +11mm units for the 2-3" lift range? Do I ned to change the upper control arms at all?
    The bend in the upper arms is for long range aux tanks as they kinda wrap around the rhs upper arm. So the arm is bent to clear the tank. Adjustable uppers are used to straighten, or re align the pinion angle so its in line with the tail shaft. The more the lift the more the diff needs to be twisted upwards to be in line with the tailshaft.
    Longer lower arms are used to centre the wheel in the guard when the axle is under compression. As when you add a suspension lift you will alter the wheel to guard alignment. Sorry I dont know how to explain it better. Bene will be able to clear this upper better than anyone. I went +10mm in my lower arms for a 4inch lift and its spot on for my application.

Look at the pinion angle of your diff and if it runs in a straight line to your tail shaft, you dont require adjustable upper arms. If its not, then yeah technically you do.
    I changed both uppers and lowers on my arms and the rubber bushes in both did not last 12 months. All now replaced with OEM bushes and plenty of never seize on the pins and all good.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12