Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3" lift Drop Boxes?

I've had a 3" lift in the GU for almost 2 years.

Went away on the weekend and can't handle to rough ride anymore, I know it's an agricultural vehicle, but I'd like to to take the teeth shattering out of the bumps as much as possible.

I've got some Superior Light- Medium coils in the rear so can't go much lighter there, can't remember what I have in the front but told them when I got the lift done I had a steel bar, winch and 2nd battery so I reckon I have what is needed in the front, BUT am not against getting softer coils.

I've read that drop boxes can give you more flex, which I understand how they can, but I'm not after more flex. I've also read that they can make your ride smoother, which I don't understand how they can, but is what I want to achieve.

When I put the 3" lift in we put in offset bushes in the arms to make up for the lift, so I'm wondering, would drop boxes just replicate what I get from these bushes or would fit drop boxes & fitting whatever bushes into the arms give me a smoother ride?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Drop boxes will just replicate the offset bushes and they would need to be removed. Id be looking at your shocks. What shock are you running? If they are valved wrong then they dampen the spring too much and take a bigger hit for the spring to do its job. Shocks can make a huge difference to a smooth ride.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (14th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh OK, I'm running Ironman Foam Cell Pro's, they're pretty large bores & 2 years old. I don't know if they can be revalved?

Any suggestions for replacement shocks?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The best that you can buy. If you have a mate close that also has a Patrol you could swap shocks for a drive and see if it makes a difference but i expect it will.

Given you are looking for a good quality shock and a long term investment id be looking at Old Man Emu or a Remote Res shock like Fox if you can afford it. If its still not right then out with the springs too but i expect the shocks to make a big difference.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those ironman shocks come in soft or hard . the model number has a suffice of FE for hard and FEC for soft . maybe check with ironman to see if they can revalve them .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop boxes help with ride quality because the radius arms are flatter. Flatter links help to direct the force from hitting a bump through the spring. That energy is then dissipated through the shock.
    Links with more angle will transfer more of that force through the link itself, not the spring. That force is then dissipated through your spine.

A very simple exercise is to use a trundle wheel and run it over rough ground holding it near vertical with locked elbows and wrist. You'll feel the force being transfered into your shoulder. Holding it the same way. Crouch down and hold it a close to horizontal as you can and run it over the same ground. Instead of your shoulder getting jarred it will just become a pivot point with much less jarring
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    those ironman shocks come in soft or hard . the model number has a suffice of FE for hard and FEC for soft . maybe check with ironman to see if they can revalve them .
    Hey great help, thanks for letting me know, I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Drop boxes help with ride quality because the radius arms are flatter. Flatter links help to direct the force from hitting a bump through the spring. That energy is then dissipated through the shock.
    Links with more angle will transfer more of that force through the link itself, not the spring. That force is then dissipated through your spine.

A very simple exercise is to use a trundle wheel and run it over rough ground holding it near vertical with locked elbows and wrist. You'll feel the force being transfered into your shoulder. Holding it the same way. Crouch down and hold it a close to horizontal as you can and run it over the same ground. Instead of your shoulder getting jarred it will just become a pivot point with much less jarring
    All the advertising guff I've read from drop box makers all say that they do improve ride quality, I've thought about it through the day & reckon it probably does make a difference.. Thanks for the help mate.

I'm looking for adjustable shocks, I'm a fan of Koni shocks having used them a long time ago on an old Mitsy 4x4, they transformed that vehicle. The Fox remote res shocks aren't adjustable, the very exxy ones are, but are too exxy. Don't know about the Superior remote res adjustable shocks????

The Tough Dog & Rancho adjustables aren't bad, I've sets of both of them but the knobs always lock up and become useless.

Any other suggestions for adjustable shocks???

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB nuffy time, aren’t drop boxes taking us all back to leafy hangups 20years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i have drop boxes on both my patrols and rate them highly. I agree with Bene that they will make a difference certainly. As he described the impact point changes and this will reduce the jarring but i really think your main priblem is the shocks. Hence pointing you that way.

I rate the drop boxes highly... why not do both.

Im not a huge fan of the adjustable shocks because it relies on the owner to understand how to tune them and not get lost in the adjustment. Most of the mid price are junk. Decent adjustables really do start at about Fox but as you say they are getting exy.

For my money on your price point id be going the ARB Old Man Emu Sport shock. They have a built in infinitely variable valving sysytem that works great. Mine have 200,000km on them and they are still great.

I like Remote Reservoir shocks for reduced fade but they really only pay for themselves on rough long distance touring applications and fast and hard use.

My next shock for the GU will be the OME BP51s but they will cost a Bomb but will be the last shocks i buy.

Remember you are looking to spend the money again after only 2 years which is dissapointing!! Add what you spent to what you are going to spend to fix it and you could have had an awesome setup 2 years ago.... frustrating i know.

OME Sport would get my money with 3" drop boxes to round it off and new Nidsan OEM bushes in the radius arms.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th August 2018 at 10:25 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (13th August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    i have drop boxes on both my patrols and rate them highly. I agree with Bene that they will make a difference certainly. As he described the impact point changes and this will reduce the jarring but i really think your main priblem is the shocks. Hence pointing you that way.

I rate the drop boxes highly... why not do both.

Im not a huge fan of the adjustable shocks because it relies on the owner to understand how to tune them and not get lost in the adjustment. Most of the mid price are junk. Decent adjustables really do start at about Fox but as you say they are getting exy.

For my money on your price point id be going the ARB Old Man Emu Sport shock. They have a built in infinitely variable valving sysytem that works great. Mine have 200,000km on them and they are still great.

I like Remote Reservoir shocks for reduced fade but they really only pay for themselves on rough long distance touring applications and fast and hard use.

My next shock for the GU will be the OME BP51s but they will cost a Bomb but will be the last shocks i buy.

Remember you are looking to spend the money again after only 2 years which is dissapointing!! Add what you spent to what you are going to spend to fix it and you could have had an awesome setup 2 years ago.... frustrating i know.

OME Sport would get my money with 3" drop boxes to round it off and new Nidsan OEM bushes in the radius arms.
    Thanks for the info MudRunner, I appreciate yours & everyone's help. I'll check out the OME Sport. I did look at the BP51s but they are very pricey ATM.

Will drop boxes fix the wandering steering? It's like rolling along in a boat sometimes, we're over here, no now we're over here, straight again, no leaning to the left now etc etc etc.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast