Thread: TPMS pressure adjustments

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS pressure adjustments

The TPMS in my 2018 Ti is based on a tyre pressure of 35 psi. However, when towing my van I increase the rear tyre pressures to about 46-48 psi. Likewise, on unsealed roads I may go down as low as 25 psi and 16-18 psi on the beach. Is it possible to adjust the TPMS to accommodate these changes in tyre pressure? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine I can but it's an after market one ,if yours is inbuilt it may be another story .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you mean by 'accomodate'. I've run at 44psi travelling, and standard use around 40psi. No faults/ warning signs show up. On most tracks I start at 28psi on my gauge, which reads 26psi on the TPMS, and again, I get the readout without warnings. When I go below 25psi on the TPMS (so around 22psi which is what I usually start with for rougher travel) then I get the warning sign on the Das (TPMS reads 20psi). Is this what you mean? the warning sign showing on the dash?

I was told below 25psi it will show the indicator. Above that, it won't - and that's been my experience so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's what he wants to do , adjust the low warning alarm , I can set mine to whatever I want but it's an aftermarket lick and stick type , it would be annoying if driving on 22 psi or less and listening to the alarm going off .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    I think that's what he wants to do , adjust the low warning alarm , I can set mine to whatever I want but it's an aftermarket lick and stick type , it would be annoying if driving on 22 psi or less and listening to the alarm going off .
    Think so too. But it beeps once (like the low fuel alert) then shuts up. The low pressure light remains on on the dash, but that's it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd November 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. There's a lot of repetitious info in the handbook which doesn't actually say much, other than the "TPMS illuminates a low tyre pressure telltale when one or more of your tyres is significantly under-inflated" and "if the tyre is over-inflated more than approximately 30kPa (4 psi),the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times". There is no specific info about actual pressures, but the default pressure seems to be 35 psi, which is the recommended unloaded tyre pressure. Based on your experience, CamJam, the pressure can drop to about 25 psi before the low pressure warning activates, and you've gone as high as 44 psi with no warning.
    The reason I'm chasing this up is that several weeks ago I destroyed a tyre on a slow, stony Pilbara station track and realised at that time that the TPMS system wasn't working. If it had been, I probably could have saved the tyre because it was a relatively small stone cut through the tread....one plug only. A couple of days ago, I discovered at a dealership that, yes, the system had been de-activated but could be re-activated with a Nissan Tyre Pressure Monitoring Registration Tool, which they did. But they did not know what the minimum and maximum pressures, below and above 35 psi, are before the warning activates. Anyhow, I'll do some experimenting with pressures, but I hope it's not going to be a bit of a pain in the neck.
    Thanks again for your replies.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a Claytons system , I've set mine to 20 psi low and 45 high as for temp it's set at 60c but can monitor everything on each wheel with the push of a button , doing the Simmo next year so will lower the low pressure setting to 12 psi so the alarm doesn't piss me off .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW here is my understanding of the system (could be wrong on some points).

- there are kinda three indications, the warning light, the driver info (actual PSI) on the centre display and the inflation pressure.

- neither warning light or indication "arms" until the vehicle has reached 40 KPH from "Ign ON" IE if you start and crawl then neither will operate

- the warning light illuminates steady if a) the vehicle exceeds 40 KPH and at any time and thereafter b) any tyre pressure drops below 27.4 PSI
    -the warning light blinks for 1 minute and illuminates steady if it detects a fault

- the driver info display reports the tyre pressure (regardless of pressure and vehicle speed) continuously once the vehicle has exceeded 40 KPH and "woken" the TPMS.

- the inflation function is armed when the Tranny is in Park and Ign ON or engine running.
    The Hazards blink as you approach 32 PSI and at 32 PSI the Horn beeps and the hazards stop flashing.
    If you continue to inflate and teh pressure reaches 36 PSI the Horn beeps 3 times and the hazards start to flash.
    If you deflate from 36 the hazards keep flashing and then horn beeps once and the hazards stop flashing at 32 PSI

Seeing as I use a calibrated gauge when adjusting tyre pressures and run my fronts at 40 and rears at 42 (daily driving config) I don't use the inflation gimmick

I have my Nav screen set as 50% TPMS and 50% map as the default
    Last edited by the evil twin; 3rd November 2018 at 07:41 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Evil Twin.......more info for me to work on.