Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Left Turn Signal lamps always on

Hello all,

Here is my situation on a 2005 Y61 LWB European model: the left turn signal lamps are always on since yesterday - front, back and the one on the side and the green arrow in the dashboard . If I want to signal left nothing happens. Hazard lights also don't work. Right side works fine.

I noticed it happened after using the winch (but I dont know if they are related or just a coincidence)

I tried to narrow it down (removed signal relay, hazard switch, turn switch, disconnected back lights, changed all bulbs, removed trailer harness, checked the harness coming from the back under teh drivers seat...) and I found out that if I remove the 40 amps fuse from the Power Window (windows, electric seat, central locking) located near the battery, the left signals lamps turn off and they work ok. Also the hazard lights.

So I am assuming that the LH Turn signal wiring is getting power from the Power Window circuit.

Coming step by step from the battery towards the interior (I disconnected plug by plug to see when the lights turn off) it looks that the problem is located somewhere in the dashboard area.If I disconnect the top main square plug (the one in the photo) on the drivers side panel the lights turn off. I am assuming that it is the white/blue cable coming from teh 40amps fuse. But I was unable to go further as the harness goes behind the dashboard.

So, any ideas what to do next?

P.S. Could it be related to the smart entrance control unit? As I saw that when you lock the doors the turn signals flash once...

IMG_3630.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Could be a simple earthing issue. Try running a couple of earth leads (one front and one at the rear) from a clean place on the chassis to a clean spot on the body. Also check the earth straps to the engine are in good condition.
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th August 2018 at 10:05 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did you use the Winch?

Mud? Stranded on Rocks? Assisting another vehicle?

Do you have any sort of Trailer Plug for Trailer Lights?

Smacking the Trailer Plug on a rock, water/corrosion and bad earths in the lighting assy are the cause of maybe 90% of that fault in Australia
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @mudnut and @ the evil twin for the replies;

I will check the earth straps...and wire some new ones. I don't yet understand how earting is working on this car...to me it looks that I have a power issue and the LH signal is "stealing"power from another circuit. I was looking in the manual...it looks that the earthing is ...quite comple

The winch was used to assist another vehicle; it was on a straight, dry location - my car was not moved as the roof tent was still on (in fact I was traying to get the other car closer to mine as we have been camping and the other car completely drained the battery).

I have (had) a trailer plug - but i completely removed it ...suspecting that I might have smacked it on something.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    Just a quick update: problem solved- it was the smart entrance control unit. Looks that one of the exit diodes was blown. The electrician was able to repair it...but advised that I get a replacement unit (and the remote/key)
    Ps.Seems that Ac is not working now ( I hope is just the fuse or some connector that I did not plug back firmly. He will check it in the mornin...
    Last edited by ccosma; 8th August 2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added something

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccosma For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th August 2018), the evil twin (8th August 2018)