OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: New Rims - offset - shakes and shudders??

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rims - offset - shakes and shudders??

Hi All, I have just had my tyres put on new neg offset -30 steelies and at about 70-80kph it shakes and turns into a pretty violent shudder. I then have to back off off until it stops. Suggestions? I have been reading the forum on this topic and it seems pretty common on the GU Patrols. Can it be rectified or should I just go back to my original Patrol alloy mags with 0 offset as it never happened when these were on, even at 110kph? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like they haven't been balanced properly..... Or tyres and or rims are out of round.

To balance them properly they should be using fingers as per vid below

https://youtu.be/h0yWHKdMQR4

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

patroldion (1st August 2018), Woof (1st August 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. Just watched the vid. I'll be asking the question for sure! I've got it rebooked in for the guys who fitted them to have a look. Cheers.
    Last edited by patroldion; 1st August 2018 at 02:45 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patroldion For This Useful Post:

Clunk (1st August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... agree with Clunk and the other option is to use balance beads instead of fixed weights
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (1st August 2018), patroldion (2nd August 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patroldion View Post
    Hi All, I have just had my tyres put on new neg offset -30 steelies and at about 70-80kph it shakes and turns into a pretty violent shudder. I then have to back off off until it stops. Suggestions? I have been reading the forum on this topic and it seems pretty common on the GU Patrols. Can it be rectified or should I just go back to my original Patrol alloy mags with 0 offset as it never happened when these were on, even at 110kph? Thanks in advance!
    There are many reasons and theories as to why this happens, and there a better qualified people on this forum to give advice on the subject than me, but this is my experience.
    I only drove my new 2014 Patrol on the factory mags & tyres for a short time before replacing them with 33" BFG Muds on steel rims. From that day forward I experienced the "shakes & shudders" between 80-90kpm. I spend lots of time and money trying to sort this out, with no luck. I did everything that was suggested to eliminate the problem, but nothing worked. I can understand how the many suggestions could fix the problem on older vehicles, given normal "wear & tear" on steering components, but not on a brand new vehicle.
    I put up with the shakes for a number years until recently, when it finally got the better of me. I found myself thinking of selling it, because it was just not pleasant to drive. I have now put the factory mags & tyres back on, which totally transforms the truck. No shakes or shudders at any speed, and a comfortable and pleasant drive again. Looks a bit strange with the smaller tyres ( 275's ) with the lift, but I can live with that. As my truck is for touring, not "hard core" off roading, my intention is now to run the factory mags with a set of good AT tyres. I will keep the 33" muds & steelies for the occasions when do the High Country or other locations where muds could be needed. No more shakes for me, never again.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 3rd August 2018 at 12:58 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

patroldion (17th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patroldion View Post
    Thanks mate. Just watched the vid. I'll be asking the question for sure! I've got it rebooked in for the guys who fitted them to have a look. Cheers.
    What was the outcome with this?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

patroldion (17th August 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. Appreciate the response. I was thinking the same thing! I'm 5 mins away from putting the standard rims back on as it never happened before i changed them! Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mate. Goes back next week. The shop that put them on put markings on the inside of the rim and tyre and said that they sometimes slip on new rims? Anyway, don't know what this will prove or what they will do even if they have slipped. They don't use the finger plate to balance it so if they can't fix it, I am going to find someone who uses the finger plate and give that a go, if not, I'll be putting the old rims back on...I can't keep driving it the way it is..Cheers.