Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Factory Power Antenna

Does anyone know if the factory power radio antenna has a built in amplifier? I receive fine on FM with my new RFI stick antenna but can only pick up 1 AM channel, clearly, and a second very faint. All I get in the main is static. I tried a direct earth jumper from the base of the antenna to the battery earth, actually removed the only AM channel i could here beforehand - what am I doing wrong? The antenna is in the jack at the back of the radio, nice and tight. I do not see a specific earth connection from the radio chassis, but there is an earth wire in the radio loom as such. Reading some posts on the web suggests the antenna may need to be amplified. i have purchased an inline amplifier - waiting for its arrival,but keen to find out if others have experienced the same issues going from the factory powered antenna to a stick style. I went this way after breaking and repairing 2 masts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Does anyone know if the factory power radio antenna has a built in amplifier? I receive fine on FM with my new RFI stick antenna but can only pick up 1 AM channel, clearly, and a second very faint. All I get in the main is static. I tried a direct earth jumper from the base of the antenna to the battery earth, actually removed the only AM channel i could here beforehand - what am I doing wrong? The antenna is in the jack at the back of the radio, nice and tight. I do not see a specific earth connection from the radio chassis, but there is an earth wire in the radio loom as such. Reading some posts on the web suggests the antenna may need to be amplified. i have purchased an inline amplifier - waiting for its arrival,but keen to find out if others have experienced the same issues going from the factory powered antenna to a stick style. I went this way after breaking and repairing 2 masts
    I've got the GME aerial. Works great on FM but I haven't tested it on AM. It is marketed as an FM aerial.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (31st July 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris, yes mine works really clearly on FM also, but from what i read FM comes thru pretty much on the crappiest of antennas, but earthing is a major issuem as is cable connection on AM. I am trying to get to the bottom of this as I am sure the cable is not broken - clutching at straws.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, ordered an antenna signal booster and installed it, no difference. So back to basics, had to be an earth, and tracked it down to broken earth braid at the cable interface with the plug, so fixed that and all good. The booster did improve the radio ability to pick up each AM signal, even with the didgy earth, however no audio was apparent until the braid earth path was fixed, then clear as a bell, very happy.