User Tag List

Thread: Electrical Gremlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical Gremlin

Hi. I have an electrical gremlin with my 4.8 that has happended three times. Each time, in hot weather (and going up a steep hill), the revs start bouncing between 1500 and 1800rpm. It wont rev any harder than the 1800rpm and feels like some electrical limp mode has kicked in. I have come across others with the same issue, but to date, no one seems to have figured out the issue. Now, here is the strange part- If (when it happens) I press the 'Snow Button' beside the auto trans, or select Nueutal for a second, the problem instantly goes away for 1-2 minutes and then comes back again. Has anyone with an Automatic 4.8 had the same problem and been able to fix it ? Any help welcomed.
    Regards Tony.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steep hill as in Dirt/Gravel or Bitumen?

What I'm getting at is that it may be a glitch in the traction control and by changing modes or grabbing neutral it is 'resetting'.

Totally an outside the box hypothetical tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. It is only when going up a steep hill (at the moment), although others who have the same issue report that eventually it gets worse and starts occuring on flat ground. The car is a 2004 4.8 TI, so I dont believe there is any traction control with this year/model other than ABS brakes. Tony.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my use of traction control is a bad term I spose given todays integrated systems.

FWIW we occasionally used Snow mode when beach launching as it reduces traction loss via the G'Box ECU shift mapping... turned 'em into a slug but sure reduced wheel spin
    Your problem does sound like some sort of limp mode tho but why it snaps out of it in Snow mode or neutral is interesting
    The ones in our fleet never had that issue but we turned 'em out to pasture at 80,000 K's .

Sorry but I haven't ever had a 4.8 myself so I don't have any other comments of any value
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.