OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Oily white smoke coming from top of Provent200 catchcan.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oily white smoke coming from top of Provent200 catchcan.

Wondering if anyone might know what's might be causing white oliy smoke to suddenly start coming from top of my catch can?
    It started happening after the last oil and filter change prior to a long 3500km trip to Coral bay.
    I noticed a strong oily smell after running the car, which I thought might be because of some spillage, but when I popped the bonnet open saw this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5q...ew?usp=sharing

I emptied the catch can like I normally do via drain hose and also cleaned the filter element in some kero, but hasn't helped, smoke is still there. I also checked and cleaned the o-ring on the catch can cap.
    There is no visible smoke coming from exhaust, just this catch can. Also didn't notice anything else during the 2 week long trip, except the oily smell, which I knew where it was coming from.
    I've not noticed anything else with the car, it seems to be running fine. I've also ordered a new filter element, but hasn't arrived yet, even though I've only had the current one for about 30,000k that came with the catch can.
    2012 CRD 30TD Auto Wagon, 15L/100km | 2" KYB Lift | 3" Exhaust | ECU Remap | HPD boost control | Provent Catch Can | EGR Block | Bullet Snorkel | Dual Battery | Redarc SBI12 | Projecta batt Monitor | Auto Headlights | iDrive Throttle Control | NU3001 7" Android Stereo | Sound Deadening| Reverse Camera | Dashcam | Amp, 12" Sub | 300W Inverter | USB Chargers | Barn Door Gas Strut | Awning | Mods list shrinking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its the hose from the can to the intake pipe blocked at all? check the outlet port (the lower one) too as there is a valve inside that round thingo, this could be jammed shut.
    Last edited by mudski; 20th July 2018 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    its the hose from the can to the intake pipe blocked at all?
    Shouldn't be a reason for that hose to be blocked all of a sudden, but will check it tonight. ta
    2012 CRD 30TD Auto Wagon, 15L/100km | 2" KYB Lift | 3" Exhaust | ECU Remap | HPD boost control | Provent Catch Can | EGR Block | Bullet Snorkel | Dual Battery | Redarc SBI12 | Projecta batt Monitor | Auto Headlights | iDrive Throttle Control | NU3001 7" Android Stereo | Sound Deadening| Reverse Camera | Dashcam | Amp, 12" Sub | 300W Inverter | USB Chargers | Barn Door Gas Strut | Awning | Mods list shrinking

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foggs View Post
    Shouldn't be a reason for that hose to be blocked all of a sudden, but will check it tonight. ta
    check the outlet port where the hose connects. The valve inside there could be jammed shut. A blockage on the outlet side, or a blocked filter is the only explanation I can see for the fumes to come out where they are.

Remove the filter, and remove the hose to the motor and blow through that hose. This will tell you if its blocked or not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I've managed to find out what the issue is with the catch can.
    I disconnected the hoses as you suggested and blew through but it flowed freely, no blockage.
    I found at idle with all the vibrations, that the cap on the catch can was bouncing up and down very slightly and rapidly, almost unnoticable. I pressed down on it firmly and the fumes stopped. It seems when the cap is shut completely, it's not tight enough to completely lock it in. I also discovered little groves where it makes contact on the inside of the top of the cap.. basically making small indents and making it even more loose. I then discovered that there's a 88mm o-ring on the cap, which seemed to be not protruding enough to also seal in the cap and stop it from bouncing up and down or prevent fumes from escaping on the sides.

I've ordered a new o-ring, but for the meantime I've used some electrical tape behind the o-ring, to make it stick out a tad bit more. It's sealed tight now and no fumes.
    My engine bay gets very hot and when I touch the catch can after a descent drive, it's pretty bloody hot. I presume this has accelerated the indents the vibrations have made in the cap.

CatchcanCapSeal.jpg
    Last edited by foggs; 8th August 2018 at 12:33 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foggs For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems I have other oil leak issues now, this catch can could have been just part of it.

Reading other posts, seems I may have turbo leak issues or overboosting, even though my OBD II does not show any overboosting, which was set to 18.2psi since doing my 3" exhaust and ECU remap a couple years ago..

I noticed oil on the intercooler outlet hoses near the clamps, which I've since cleaned up and tightened the clamps as tight as I can without overdoing it. see below.

IntercoolerOutletHose.jpg

Next I noticed some oil on the intercooler inlet hose, which has leaked on top of one of the injectors. Once again I cleaned it up and tightened the clamps as best as I could and wiped the injector area down (probably needs a degrease).
    I found one of the clamps was also slipping when trying to tighten it up more.. which could have been the issue. Anyway I've replaced it and have not noticed any further leaks in this area.

IntercoolerInlet Hose.jpg

injectors.jpg

I also checked the intercooler and noticed some tiny amounts of oil there too, but nothing on the inside, clean as a whistle. I gave the intercooler a good clean on the outside and not noticed any further oil in the last week or so.

DirtyIntercooler.jpg

Just tonight I noticed oil buildup on the bloody turbo inlet hose around the clamp. I haven't figured out where that's come from but it's just weird.

TurboInlet.jpg

The only thing I did before this long trip was change the oil and oil filter. I think I started noticing all these issues after that. Also for the life of me, I could not line up the arrow on the oil filter cap so that it's at the top, no matter what I tried or did and still don't know. I'm pretty sure the arrow was at the top before I changed the filter. But even so, that cap is tight at 22Nm and should not cause these issues. See photos below

Anyway apologies for the long post, hope someone has a suggestion before I take it to a mechanic.
    ta

OilCapArrow.jpg

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the oil on the inlet will be residual oil from the catch can. The CC wont catch all of the vapours. Mine used to do the same thing. A better sealing intake hose will direct those oily vapours directly into your turbo and not let any escape.
    The small oil deposits on the core of the cooler shows there is a small boost leak, this will eventually get worse over time. You can pressure test the IC to make sure, but oil on the core usually means one thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

foggs (8th August 2018)