User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawes valve. Will I need one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, just picked the truck from sprint exhausts here in the Alice. 2.75 inch system installed. EGT is now hooked up. Have not seen the egt go above 350 yet. Is it normal not to put the original heat shield back on the dump pipe? No sign of over boost yet but it’s very early days. Dawes valve due here soon. On the short drive back home I have noticed an improvement in mid range power/torque. Happy daze......
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

mudski (25th July 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some run without heat shield, personally I would rather leave mine in place. Did they leave it off, maybe they had difficultly removing it and binned it?

325-350 DegC is what I get @ 100kph slight load (50% eng load) but I run higher boost and under these conditions boost around 15-18 psi. My max Boost is 25psi.

Give it a bit of a run under different load & spool conditions and see how boost and EGTs go. 2.75" may not over boost excessively. As I mentioned give it a run for while and note down what is going on before you install manual boost control.

Did you do egr plate?
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Bidja , it look like getting the heat shield on with the egt sender there would be an issue. The shield was given back to me. The red arc has a peak hold function so I will use that to see what is going on. I am driving down to Victoria in about 3 weeks so that hopefully tell me a lot. Thanks heaps for all your help. Cheers, Brian.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine has hole in the side face adjacent to dump pipe and the probe is screwed in after shield is fitted.

There are some nice climbs(good hauls) around Jugiong heading sth.

Did you get a scan tool (should do it) mate?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Will do. If you tell me what to get I will. I have never used one and don’t really know what it does. But if it helps to make a more reliable car I’ll get one. Cheers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, CRD a few options around, they enable you to clear fault codes(eg:limp mode). For example if you over boost to the point where the ECU cannot keep the fuel up, it most likely will go into limp mode. Or a fault recorded if an inappropriate MAF voltage is detected by the ECU that can also cause limp.

One thing to remember especially driving up a long hill (climb) and your boost may rise too high (especially towing), for the ECU to provide adequate fuel over time and more than likely cause limp. This is why Dawes or a Tillix valve is important so you can lower your max boost to ensure the ECU can supply the fuel as required and eliminate limp..But you need scan tool to clear the fault code to resume driving.

Limp is when you experience significant lack of boost and loss of power and you need to pull over on side of the road and access the scan tool/gauge and if appropriate delete the fault for the engine to perform properly. It enables you to clear fault codes and enables you to monitor faults to assist you in identifying pending and permanent faults to assist you in trouble shooting deficiencies in engine function and performance. It also provide readouts of various attributes associated with performance parameters, eg: main battery voltage, eng coolant temp, eng load, fuel usage, RPM and other functions , depending on unit.

I have an EDS gauge here you can have for $25 + postage, that will satisfy your needs or as I said earlier buy an Ultragauge EM Plus (good kit) direct from USA manufacture for approx $149.00 AUD (incl postage).

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

There may be others but have no experience with them.
    Last edited by Bidja; 25th July 2018 at 01:08 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (25th July 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bidja. Ive ordered one of these from the folk in the URL above.

Cheers and many beers, Brian.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good choice Brian. The Ultra gauge has a real good display function, it also reads kW/N-m which I use heaps, especially recently doing adjustment to my turbo actuator rod length. It provides boost pressure, determined via ECU and use the MAP sensor. This provide boost at the cold side of intercooler and if you currently measure boost on hot side (near turbo) you can see the pressure drop across you IC.

Did you order a mount bracket? I have the one you attach to dash, works well just left of steering wheel(front top edge of dash).

All the best
    Last edited by Bidja; 25th July 2018 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the windscreen bracket. They are out of stock until end of July. But I’m happy to wait. It looks like a really cool toy. Thanks again for your help.!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

Bidja (25th July 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the car out on the hiway this morning. The north Stuart Hwy just to the north of town has the closest thing to hills out here. Set the cruise at 110kph in 5th gear and watched the EGT and boost. EGT did not go above 420 and boost peaked at 22psi. I could never get the boost that high with the original exhaust. What is the max boost before the car goes into limp mode? Next job is to block off the EGR. After the dawes is installed that is.....

Cheers all. Brian.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast