Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On track 4x4 HMBCift kit

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - they just released something on facebook along the lines of "looking forward to the big announcement" recently - I wonder if that's it.

I agree with the weight limit - I'm quite anal on that. Everything I have that goes on board is minimal weight, something I found I had to do with the Prado which has a similar pay load. So out went the 2 x 8kg camp chairs and in came the Hellinox 1.4kg chairs. All our gear is hiking gear too, so cooking equipment, sleeping bags, tents and the like are all light weight. About the only heavier-than normal thing was the Front Runner rack, but it's the only one that maintains a good weight limit (not like the Rhino Backbone one) when off road. I'm nerdy enough to run an excel document that lists all our gear that's permanent, which allows us to calculate what we can fit it. Go light weight and you'll be surprised how you can easily gain another 80 - 100kg's that you can put towards food.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep CJ , I'm going to have to rethink everything I carry , now I have a waggon my usually recovery gear is probably enough to put it over and to be honest most of it is just in case stuff .

I did ask about a time frame for the GVM , they said ummm 6 months , don't hold ya breath , but they did say if you fit their springs now , they will be part of the GVM upgrade, that's a positive , others would be money wasted .

I had a look at a Front Runner rack the other day ,that's what I will get

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hows the lift mate?

Sway?
    Car parks?
    Economy affected?

Any info is appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrow View Post
    We just had our S2 Ti (with HBMC) done last week, so cannot comment on longterm issues or problems yet.
    Have spent some time talking to various folk whom have done it and they have all been happy prior to "diving in" ourselves.
    We fitted a single loop OL bar with winch and lightbar at the same time as the lift, hoping to go on some touring trips now with caravan in tow (3.3t loaded up 290kg on the ball).
    From the little I've driven it since it is still comfortable to drive (seems much the same as before), although I tend to "loaf" along a it is a 3t car after all. The extra weight at the front is just perceptibly noticeable but no undue lean etc. pretty much same as before the lift etc.
    We had airbags before and after, they just added 2" spacers so we could re-use them for when we tow.
    Cheers BruceR
    Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1nando, pretty happy with it actually but not enough kays to comment on fuel yet sorry.
    Sway, same as before. Car parks, same as before as the camera is now mounted on the front of the bulbar above the number plate, but hey I always take 2 spots!
    For underground carparks, cannot really comment yet, I've roof racks on so never tried any of the low ones anyways. Does remind me I should get the tape measure out at some point this weekend and check tho.
    Towing the caravan to get serviced Monday so will be interesting to see how that goes, guess I wont be doing an economy test then either for that trip (weight of caravan is 3.3T loaded up) but will be interested to see how confident the setup is on the road and at speed.
    Cheers BruceR.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (13th July 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well been a few weeks since the mods (bar, winch & 2" lift).
    Towing the caravan at 80 thru 100klm/hr (Donnybrook and Hume Fwy) in high gusting crosswinds was remarkably unexciting...in a good way of course.
    The WDH used was not having to be tensioned as much to get the car level (approx. 280kg towball download) and seemed more stable than orig setup. The van is a dual axle, 3.3T and 21ft long so not big but not one of the smaller ones either.
    Without towing, normal driving it uses approx. 0.5 - 1 l/100klm more than stock, probably depends how quick off the mark you want to be to get all that weight moving is going to cost.
    You can feel the extra weight in the front going around twisty bits, car still stays reasonably flat in the corners but understeers just a bit compared to original. In the wet, some corners I am a little more cautious than previous, a bit more experience/confidence to be gained incrementally without sliding off the road!
    Probably making it sound worse than it really is but it is perceptible.
    Cheers BruceR.
    Last edited by bjrow; 29th August 2018 at 09:34 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (30th August 2018), Mushie (30th August 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just completed a trip to Geelong and back for work which I have done several times in the past, 316kays. Down Donnybrook onto the M80 (what a mess with roadworks....actually Donnybrook Rd is a disaster as well atm).
    Filled up in the morning and again once returned, same servo and pump, use 98. Fuel usage was 11.97l/100klms, computer indicates 8.0klm/l. Pretty happy with that.
    I do ease off slow from a stopped condition but always travel at the sign posted speed if able/safe to do so.
    Of note, heading down around Lara there was a stiff headwind that chewed up a bit however it was a tailwind on the return journey. Perhaps the car is a little more susceptible to these conditions with the 2" lift than previous.
    I'm sure the extra weight would show up in day to day city driving but happy for what we do.
    Cheers BruceR.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (21st September 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under 12ltx100 thats great but I dunno how you achieve that , My Ti has averaged over the the 8k since I got it 14.4ltx100
    that's by the pump Lt's and the odo , the dash readout usually shows .6X100 better .

I like you drive at the speed limit where I can but I use a GPS for speed , if you are using the Patrol speedo it indicates about 9kph slower with std size tyres

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Speedo is out by 8 KPH @ 110KPH
    My Odometer is spot on (def less than 1% error).
    My trip 'poota looks like it is a little generous IE says 12.5 LPH but closer to 13 maybe a tad more (not enough data to be sure yet).
    Indicates average fuel use of - 10.5 LPH Freeway, 12.5 Urban (light urban tho not City stop start every 100 metres).

I sit on the speed limit (GPS), roll off the mark slowish but then accelerate more firmly to traffic speed.
    I cruise with an eye on the 'instantaneous fuel' bar graph on the display but happily metal it every now and then if I need to make a gap.
    I also drop across to 5th manual in 70 to 80 speed zones and don't use the Cruise Control.
    An educated right foot will easily save 1 LPH over the cruise control plus I just like to 'drive' rather than 'ride'.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok looks like I have to learn drive , I can't get those numbers .
    Correction my speedo show fast , I said slow above .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    Ok looks like I have to learn drive , I can't get those numbers .
    Correction my speedo show fast , I said slow above .
    ROFL... not really... lots of variables involved and mine is a clean skin at the moment so the only way from here is worse.
    Every car will be different (ZD30 CRD's were notorious for widely varying fuel useage)

A few tips I was given over the years;
    - 'roll' the throttle on don't 'punch' it
    - 'feather' the throttle off don't 'lift' it
    - if a K or two washes off on the uphill, live with it, trying to accelerate back up uses heaps of fuel (relatively)
    - accelerate on the downhill
    - get up to speed smartly on injected engines (no accelerator pump) don't drive like miss daisy and "lug"
    - keep tyre pressure high
    - don't let the RPM drop off the front of the Torque curve (1500 ish for us) IE one gear lower can often save fuel IF the rpm is now up in the torque band
    - Anything on the roof uses a LOT more fuel than if in the back or at home in the shed at anything over about 50KPH (aero drag is exponential not linear)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast