Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On track 4x4 HMBCift kit

Hi gents,

I owm a s4 2018 Ti. I would like to install the ontrack 4x4 HMBC lift kit so i can fit a OL tripple loop bullar and not have it sitting or hitting the bump stops. I'd love some help and feed back from anyone with personal experience of installing this kit.

My questions;

How does the kit stand up over long trips on fast corogated terrain?
    Does the kit cause any long term reliability issues to the suspension and the hydraulic system itself?
    Does the kit cause premature tyre wear?

Sorry for all the questions but im struggling to find clear answers to the above questions and im weighing up whether im better off possibly not having a bullbar altogether.

Thanks in advanve gentleman.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am also looking at doing this. I have got answers from ont track to most of those questions. They have told me no ill effect on suspension components or bush life, they have yet to see any failed bushes. You dont lose much if any adjustment so tyre wear should not be a problem.

The kits does come with instructions and can be fitted with a good range of tools and some mechanical knowledge.

Now I just need time and money to put a lift in ours. The facebook y62 groups are really good for a lot of info about this sort of stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

1nando (2nd July 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had our S2 Ti (with HBMC) done last week, so cannot comment on longterm issues or problems yet.
    Have spent some time talking to various folk whom have done it and they have all been happy prior to "diving in" ourselves.
    We fitted a single loop OL bar with winch and lightbar at the same time as the lift, hoping to go on some touring trips now with caravan in tow (3.3t loaded up 290kg on the ball).
    From the little I've driven it since it is still comfortable to drive (seems much the same as before), although I tend to "loaf" along a it is a 3t car after all. The extra weight at the front is just perceptibly noticeable but no undue lean etc. pretty much same as before the lift etc.
    We had airbags before and after, they just added 2" spacers so we could re-use them for when we tow.
    Cheers BruceR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (3rd July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nando View Post
    Hi gents,

I owm a s4 2018 Ti. I would like to install the ontrack 4x4 HMBC lift kit so i can fit a OL tripple loop bullar and not have it sitting or hitting the bump stops. I'd love some help and feed back from anyone with personal experience of installing this kit.

My questions;

How does the kit stand up over long trips on fast corogated terrain?
    Does the kit cause any long term reliability issues to the suspension and the hydraulic system itself?
    Does the kit cause premature tyre wear?

Sorry for all the questions but im struggling to find clear answers to the above questions and im weighing up whether im better off possibly not having a bullbar altogether.

Thanks in advanve gentleman.

I am going through this right now, with the same car. I HAVE booked in at the end of this month for the TJM Explorer (single hoop) bar on the front, with recovery hooks, lights and an aerial to go on it as well as the 2" lift.

From what I can see online, if you don't get the lift, it only sags around 10mm - OnTrack also suggested this. So I am now thinking about not getting the lift done, and seeing how it goes. Regarding the bump stops that people keeps talking about, well - it's within the 85kg limit (I am not getting a winch) so it's within its design specs to be able to handle the bar up the front, with the recovery hooks (which I am guessing are about 20kgs all up). I'm like you though - very undecided. I will be getting a bar though, mostly for the protection but partly also for the fact I will be driving at night and want good lamps up front (not behind the grill or with an LED Bar) and to mount the aerial.

OnTrack also advised that with the 200+ lift's they've done, a percentage (they mentioned maybe a dozen) had issues with the CV boots. This can be remedied by putting on different boots they have - but it costs around $600. For me, that's a 5% fail rate, and to be honest it scares me a little. I get that I can fix it if it becomes an issue - but I don't do beach, I do remote travelling which is the last place I want a CV failing.

What I really want are just replacement springs for the front that are just a little stiffer in order to maintain the height - but OnTrack has said they can't do that, although it beats me why (perhaps the Y62 uses some specific ones that only come with that larger lift if required).

At the end of the day, I don't need a lift. But like you, the idea of bump-stopping along outback tracks has me, at this stage, leaning towards getting the lift. I think I need to call them again just to have the conversation... perhaps I'll not get the lift and then later go and do it if I need a Rear Bar or similar (if you get a rear bar later, it's a different set of springs they need to install).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

1nando (3rd July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamJam View Post
    I am going through this right now, with the same car. I HAVE booked in at the end of this month for the TJM Explorer (single hoop) bar on the front, with recovery hooks, lights and an aerial to go on it as well as the 2" lift.

From what I can see online, if you don't get the lift, it only sags around 10mm - OnTrack also suggested this. So I am now thinking about not getting the lift done, and seeing how it goes. Regarding the bump stops that people keeps talking about, well - it's within the 85kg limit (I am not getting a winch) so it's within its design specs to be able to handle the bar up the front, with the recovery hooks (which I am guessing are about 20kgs all up). I'm like you though - very undecided. I will be getting a bar though, mostly for the protection but partly also for the fact I will be driving at night and want good lamps up front (not behind the grill or with an LED Bar) and to mount the aerial.

OnTrack also advised that with the 200+ lift's they've done, a percentage (they mentioned maybe a dozen) had issues with the CV boots. This can be remedied by putting on different boots they have - but it costs around $600. For me, that's a 5% fail rate, and to be honest it scares me a little. I get that I can fix it if it becomes an issue - but I don't do beach, I do remote travelling which is the last place I want a CV failing.

What I really want are just replacement springs for the front that are just a little stiffer in order to maintain the height - but OnTrack has said they can't do that, although it beats me why (perhaps the Y62 uses some specific ones that only come with that larger lift if required).

At the end of the day, I don't need a lift. But like you, the idea of bump-stopping along outback tracks has me, at this stage, leaning towards getting the lift. I think I need to call them again just to have the conversation... perhaps I'll not get the lift and then later go and do it if I need a Rear Bar or similar (if you get a rear bar later, it's a different set of springs they need to install).
    Hi mate, we're both in the same boat. I hate the idea of a lift on a vehicle without live axles. I would prefer as you mentioned stiffer front springs but my research has indicated that the only way to go about this is via on tracks lift.

I have confirmed with my dealer that any drivetrain issue that could potentially arise will not be covered as a result of the lift. I sold my pride and joy defender to buy this vehicle as a comfotable and safe family tourer, spent a lot of money and got the nissan extended warranty rather than the dealership one. Last thing i want is to modify this thing and then start running into potential problems costing me money and basicllay regretting selling my landy. (Before anyone starts banging on about landys this thread is in regards to my question regarding suspension so if you don't have anything nice to say keep it to yourself as i know LR's are hated by a lotof people.)

I figure if im installing a bullbar it needs to offer complete frontal protection otherwise i won't bother. The single loop will save weight but still leave a lot of the front of the vehicle exposed to potential damage. My family and i do quite a bit of driving at night and the idea of an animal strike without a bullbar isnt my idea of fun.

It's confusing because some report the bullbar as being fine with only 10mm sag on the standard setup and others claim that it rests on the bump stops. I'd love a clear answer but i just cant get one.

If you could please keep me posted when you get your bar installed it would be appreciated.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

Mushie (4th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - that's why I didn't want to go Rhino Bar - it's protection, but only half of it. The single loop coves the part I want covered - the radiator. Lights and side panels - I can get home without them.

Your fear on warranty is exactly why I am cautious about REALLY needing a lift. I just got into this after getting out of a 18 month old 62,000km Prado (2016 GXL) with 30mm lift (smallest you could get). It had a lot of issues - DPF, EGR, Drive shaft and rear diff. THat's why I sold it and got this. However, after the DPF was replaced a second time, I also got notice from Toyota that the diff and drivetrain issues will no longer be covered as I had lifted the vehicle and it now had changed the drivetrain issues. All BS, as there are plenty out there with 2" lifts - but I don't want to be in that boat.

Having said that - I'd rather take that risk than run the bump stops. I'm probably going to go with no lift, once I confirm the Bar and the two recovery hooks are less than 80kg's. Then I say it's within Spec, and shouldn't need a lift to get off the bump stops. The loss of 10mm can easily be gotten back by fitting larger tyres, which I intend to do. 285/70/R18 will gain you 14mm...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

1nando (3rd July 2018), Mushie (4th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the Open Day at " On Tracks " last Saturday , it was very interesting I got some good info regarding accessories.
    There were some nice Patrols with plenty of mods , big tyres , big lifts a couple with SuperChargers .
    A SuperCharger would be nice but I really think my Ti has more than enough power .
    They had the light weight Bull Bar on one of their Patrols , 45kg that would be good but access to a winch was not good .
    I have talked to a local spring place near me , I'm going to fit my Rhino Bar and Winch and see how much the front drops before I do anything with springs , I will only want to bring it back to std hight but all heavy springs will have some lift over std ,
    I think I will probably only ever use std size tyres the extra lift from a tyre will not help bump stop clearance.
    I would think Nissan would be no different to any other make regards non std accessories
    Last edited by Jackofjr; 4th July 2018 at 08:38 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    I went to the Open Day at " On Tracks " last Saturday , it was very interesting I got some good info regarding accessories.
    There were some nice Patrols with plenty of mods , big tyres , big lifts a couple with SuperChargers .
    A SuperCharger would be nice but I really think my Ti has more than enough power .
    They had the light weight Bull Bar on one of their Patrols , 45kg that would be good but access to a winch was not good .
    I have talked to a local spring place near me , I'm going to fit my Rhino Bar and Winch and see how much the front drops before I do anything with springs , I will only want to bring it back to std hight but all heavy springs will have some lift over std ,
    I think I will probably only ever use std size tyres the extra lift from a tyre will not help bump stop clearance.
    I would think Nissan would be no different to any other make regards non std accessories
    Your right regarding accessories.

Different springs aren't a option on hmbc models in the front. You have to replace the shock and spring assembly as one unit from my research.

A 1 inch lift would be more than sufficient i think but only 2 inch is available..... its a tough one thats for sure

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've decided I'll get the bar without the lift. Works going to take me away for around 8 months overseas later in the year - so I figure if it is needed, then I can get it when I can come back, and I'll likely have the money to get the rear bar also. If you get the lift, then the rear bar later, then it's another $600 to change the rear springs. So I figure I'll be able to put up with any 'bump-stop' issues - if there indeed are any (it's less than 85kgs) until I return next June when I can then get the rear bar and the lift at the same time. I'll let you know if I have any issues. Between now and me going away (so sans lift) it'll be doing some Brindabella and Snowys/ High Country trips, as well as a possible Flinders jaunt - so if it's an issue I'll definitely know about it by then.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

1nando (5th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Track are working on a GVM upgrade for these Patrols , no idea of price at this stage but those shiny new control arms under the back look bloody expensive
    I really don't want to do anything to the suspension until upgrade is available .
    Like I have posted before our Ti completely stock with a full tank and 2 of us onboard went 3000kg .
    It's going to be almost impossible to keep it to 3.5t .
    I would say every Patrol I saw last Saturday at On Track would be well over the std GVM .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast