Thread: Diesel Question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Question

Gday guys.
    Something iv been trying to understand for the last little while, done a bit of a search but still a little unsure.
    I don’t usually pay a whole lot of attention to where I fill up - generally go to the cheapest place but it always confuses me when I end up at bp or shell and they have the bp ultimate diesel or shell v power diesel or whatever it is. What’s the go with these fuels? Is it just another hyped up name for diesel? Generally the blokes behind the counter are little to no help at all.
    Correct me if I am wrong here but I have read that in the last ten years or so the sulphur count of diesel has been significantly reduced hence lowering the lubrication of diesel. So my question is what should I be putting in my 06 4.2tdi?
    Is the shell and bp stuff ok or should stay clear? Should be adding like a valve lubrication (similar to what I used to run on my lpg vehicles)?
    Sorry if these are dumb questions, just hard to find the correct answer!
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible answer here DP mate although....;-)
    Father inlaw (40+ years Boral Concrete owner driver calls bull on it all...:-)
    In my own opinion, your last of the best TD42’s should munch any oily good tucker up without breaking a sweat :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (26th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    According to the guys who make the shit at the Kwinana Refinery here in Perth...

Ultimate, Vortex, Vplus have additives over the standard fuel or "Truck Diesel" as it is now often called.
    None of them give significant better mileage as such or at least it is so low as to be negligible but they give a cleaner engine and longer injector life so in the end you kinda do get better mileage I spose

The primary additive in all 3 is detergent and after that each supplier tweaks their additives slightly different.
    There are others but Detergent is the main 'advantage' in the premium fuel.

If you have a pre low sulphur engine then IMHO a dash of 2T is the go as well.
    One of the advantages of Sulphur was as a lubricant so the 2T def helps in ancient donks.

If you have an engine designed post low sulphur fuels then 2T pretty much does bugger all 'cept reduce some injector noise.

FWIW I run BP Ultimate in my Diesel vehicles
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (26th June 2018), katwoman (26th June 2018), MB (26th June 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use vortex diesel, just because it's the only diesel caltex next door have. But I don't specifically target it, I'll fill up whatever is there.
    Add a touch of Castrol 2T, and run a fuel doctor or Flashlube conditioner every few tanks, job done.
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (26th June 2018)