Thread: oil filters

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oil filters

reason for different oil filters on 4.2tdi 2004 thanks for replys in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a Nissan thing mine has two the same its a 2005 . there has been some discussion on the subject here !
    its a lucky dip .....

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup it's an odd thing Nissan has done.
    Mines a December 2005 and has two identical (short) filters. Yet my neighbours September built has 1 short, one long.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Yup it's an odd thing Nissan has done.
    Mines a December 2005 and has two identical (short) filters. Yet my neighbours September built has 1 short, one long.
    I thought they were all the same length, but had different size threads? (May vary with brand?) My May '06 has two the same (with same size threads of course).

Belt sizes seem to vary too.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I thought they were all the same length, but had different size threads? (May vary with brand?) My May '06 has two the same (with same size threads of course).

Belt sizes seem to vary too.
    Hmmm no idea Cuppa. Possibly variance in size, for different brands. But from memory one of his definitely longer than the other. Possibly the one closer to the firewall? I recall him complaining about it being tighter to get in and out.
    Luckily mine are both identical , makes it a tad easier.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked & you're right Hodge. Also have different threads.
    screenshot_1115.pngscreenshot_1116.png

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

oil filters

Never seen one longer than the other. Mine has the two different filters. Both are the same length. Not sure why they changed to two different filters then back but using two is better for the larger capacity engines. In some of the older truck engines, like a 903 Cummins they would have a secondary by pass filter which could be changed every second service. These days these motors just use one larger filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a side point. I have always used genuine nissan filters on my 4.2Tdi ( buy in bulk and have a contact at the dealership ) and have always used delo 400. I noticed that at one stage the oil pressure light took a few seconds to go out after startup. Noticed that the filters were being made in Thailand . Now the filters are being made in Japan ( again ? ) and the oil pressure light goes out almost instantly after startup - only obvious difference is that the part number changed . Spoke to my contact and he was a bit non committal about the reason however hinted that perhaps the Thailand manufactured ones were not up to spec.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a side point. I have always used genuine nissan filters on my 4.2Tdi ( buy in bulk and have a contact at the dealership ) and have always used delo 400. I noticed that at one stage the oil pressure light took a few seconds to go out after startup. Noticed that the filters were being made in Thailand . Now the filters are being made in Japan ( again ? ) and the oil pressure light goes out almost instantly after startup - only obvious difference is that the part number changed . Spoke to my contact and he was a bit non committal about the reason however hinted that perhaps the Thailand manufactured ones were not up to spec.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Wal View Post
    I bought a bulk deal of genuine filters some time back, but after using a couple stopped using them & went back to Ryco as I experienced the same delay in oil light going out as you Wal. I just checked the remaining stock of the genuine ones I have stashed in a cupboard...... & sure enough they are made in Thailand. Part number 15208-43G0A

A Nomadic Life (Blog)