Thread: Proportioning valve issues... need help

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Proportioning valve issues... need help

Hoping someone can help. The brakes have been dragging on the GQ trayback (1991 disc front drum rear) . I found the righthand side was corroded and shoes separated from the pads and the wheel cylinders were corroded and pads stuffed which is ALL good cos they are available at a reasonable cost. However, when replacing the wheel cylinders I noted that the brake fluid was not flowing. I have found that the proportioning valve is not working. On the pic I assume that line 1 is the return, line 2 is outlet from the valve to the rear brakes and line 3 is the connection from the master cylinder (valve inlet). The fluid flows from the master cylinder line and when the bleed nipple is opened. However no fluid comes from the valve to the wheels... further the fluid in the lines from the valve to the wheel was milky white and had the consistency of snot. Fluid in the main line was good red colour.

If the valve is blocked it is my understanding that the rear will lock, they were dragging. The brakes were dragging on the left but the RHS was cactus to begin with so this might be correct. Can I do anything with the proportioning valve... rebuild it ? soak in diesel or metho ? What can be done to fix this issue ? Am I missing anything ?

Cheers for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PKF; 12th June 2018 at 06:45 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could try soaking it in something. It may come good. I'd be surprised if it will though. Probably better to get another from the wreckers I think.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good. I pulled it apart and removed all the gunk. Pretty easy fix really. There is a big allen key under a sticker. I know, its a brake part and should not be modified... BUT it was full of dirt and inside the piston had seized due to moisture getting in. Easy to clean and reassemble. Works a treat now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PKF For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th June 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PKF View Post
    All good. I pulled it apart and removed all the gunk. Pretty easy fix really. There is a big allen key under a sticker. I know, its a brake part and should not be modified... BUT it was full of dirt and inside the piston had seized due to moisture getting in. Easy to clean and reassemble. Works a treat now.
    Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I’ve never seen inside this valve. Easy to disassemble and reassemble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk