Thread: Broken Bracket for Aux Battery

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Bracket for Aux Battery

i Have recently Bought a 1999 GU and have noticed that the bracket shown in those images is cracked right though the middle, ive been to a wrecker and hes told me that this is common with Nissan patrol for that bracket to break as it is originally supposed to be welding to the body but has obviously broken its welds when the previous owner had it.

i'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before and how you went about fixing it as i have a long trip coming up in 2 weeks and i don't wanna rely on some zip ties from keeping it from rattling it self 100% loose.

https://imgur.com/a/go6bJ8Y
    https://imgur.com/a/qZr4tqA

any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes , common as far as I know.
    When I had my 2009 Patrol. The original battery tray that it arrived with has done exactly the same. There is a lot of battery weight that bounces around putting a lot of stress on the tiny 10mm bolt.
    I replaced mine, with a ARB tray which does not use that point of attachment.

How you would fix yours... Maybe some rivnuts large enough to fill the hole it tore out of. Then suitably bolt the black bracket back on.

On a side note... Your 6 gauge Positive cable is rubbing unprotected and unfused against the sharp edge of that bracket...
    What could possibly go wrong.
    2005 TD42TI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (12th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I made a new brace across rhe top of the battery back to the top of the guard and used one of the guard bolts as a fixing. Coupled wirh the battery clamp bolts and it golds well and carries rhe counterlevered weight well.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Uummmm... that Bracket is some sort of dodgy brothers after market set up isn't it?

The Battery on my '99 is on the other side.
    The factory attachment for the canister etc was never designed for that much weight surely.

I would redo the Battery Bracket arm so it is seperate and you can get at least a pair of Rivnuts on it... or... a right angle bend and at least 1 Rivnut and the stud that the Canister Bracket mounts too.

Curved bends like it has at the moment provide almost zero vibration damping to the battery tray
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I made a new brace across rhe top of the battery back to the top of the guard and used one of the guard bolts as a fixing. Coupled wirh the battery clamp bolts and it golds well and carries rhe counterlevered weight well.
    Yep, it lines up well and has a double skin support. too.

On my GQ I didn't do that for years and the crack underneath had developed. Drilled a hole at the end of the crack, braced as above and it hasn't moved in years.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    On a side note... Your 6 gauge Positive cable is rubbing unprotected and unfused against the sharp edge of that bracket...
    What could possibly go wrong.
    yeah only had the car for 2 weeks, had to fix the headlights last week since they decided to melt haven't got around to fixing the rest of the previous owners handy work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bill2403 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th June 2018)