I have an Easylift jockey wheel on our Tvan with a 10" wheel.
Its a good, simple unit with a 2000kg rating, (higher than most of it's type) , welded to a what I consider a well designed & easy to use swing up bracket. (See pic below taken from the web)

screenshot_1107.jpg

Prior to fitting the new DO35 v3 tow hitch I was using a v1. The tow pin for the v3 sits a little higher & I now find that even on level ground I am having to wind the jockey wheel up too close to it's limit, & I'm unhappy about that , especially as it will take very little unevenness of the ground to make hitching or unhitching impossible.

I don't want to lower the tow hitch on the vehicle as this will reduce needed ground clearance, & I would prefer not to have to buy a new jockey wheel.

So my preference is to get the existing jockey wheel modified. I have determined that an extra 50mm lift would be a good compromise having more lift with less extension needed, & not creating problems with being unable to swing the wheel down in certain uneven ground situations.

I'm thinking there are two ways to achieve this, but I am uncertain which might be best.

Either the jockey wheel leg can be cut off the bracket & re-welded with the bracket 50mm higher on the leg. The top of the bracket currently sits about 70mm below the top of the bracket, so moving it up 50mm whilst possible would see it just 20mm below the top. This is not problematic for use, but I'm unsure if extra leverage stress on the leg could be an issue. (It's the only thing which holds up the front of the van, no other stabilising legs). I tend to think it would probably be OK as the bracket height is 130mm & can be welded fully. (currently it is held on with 2 x 25mm welds on each side)

Alternatively the lower (inner) leg could be cut off the foot, & a 50mm length of tube welded in to lengthen it. This is a bigger job & I am uncertain if it offers any advantage over cutting/re-welding the bracket.

Can anyone offer some knowledgeable advice please?