Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally a decent review?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had mine twelve months now. Getting 15/100 round town. 10/100 on a trip to Sydney. 21/100 towing a caravan 2.5ton.

And have not had a speeding ticket for more than 30 years until a got this beast 2 tickets in 6 months. Just love the sound of that V8 when you give it a light boot.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyclone For This Useful Post:

AD07 (13th July 2018), Hodge (30th June 2018), Maxhead (30th June 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Had mine twelve months now. Getting 15/100 round town. 10/100 on a trip to Sydney. 21/100 towing a caravan 2.5ton.

And have not had a speeding ticket for more than 30 years until a got this beast 2 tickets in 6 months. Just love the sound of that V8 when you give it a light boot.
    Just admit it mate, you're a re-born hoon!!

Back in the day (many many moons ago) I had several V8s. After getting my Y62 it was hard to NOT misbehave (like I did back then).....and I'm just shy of 70yo!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to himble For This Useful Post:

AD07 (13th July 2018), Plasnart (12th July 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13.6 here, that's everyday driving including towing as we have been moving house, also thats on 94 and 95, i have just been testing different fuels to see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend that owns one. He's not happy with the fuel economy, especially when towing, and he came from a late model Cruiser. He's got it on the market for sale. Too thirsty for me. Shame, it' a nice rig and they've got some squirt.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    I have a friend that owns one. He's not happy with the fuel economy, especially when towing, and he came from a late model Cruiser. He's got it on the market for sale. Too thirsty for me. Shame, it' a nice rig and they've got some squirt.
    So to clarify a few things;

1) the patrol makes 100kws more than a 200 series. Thats 50% more power and 50% more go!

2) the patrol makes 90nm less than the 200. That's a defecit of 13.85% overall. Between 1600pm and 3600rpm its making around 500nm and a max of 560nm at 4400rpm. So its disadvantage to the 200 is roughly 23% torque in the lower rpms.

3) a 200 uses roughly 23% less fuel overall as most new 200s run in the 14s ( L/100km) in suburbia. I use around 18L/100 in suburbia. I usually fill up once ive done around 700km and my mate usually fills up around 850 kms per tank. Its roughly a difference of 150kms.

Now 23% less fuel (generous figure) roughly equals less than $40 per tank (generous; more like $31) of fuel. I cant be bothered going into the full maths and writhing it up.

So to clarify; ive got 50% more power, 13.85% less torque and a fuel running cost of 23% more.

I've also got:
    - less to go wrong
    - more reliable as theres less to go wrong
    - safer overtaking ability. Power when i need it.
    - less engine noise
    - much cheaper entry price
    - better pulling ability

what am i missing here?

Considering the power on tap its actually better than the 200!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1nando; 13th July 2018 at 06:21 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

vern (13th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    I came from a 2012 LC200 GXL, with a 2016 GXL Prado in between, and after 5000km's the Y62 is using around 2L/100km more than what I got on the diesel LC200. I am getting around 14.5L in driving that the LC200 used around 12.8L/100 in (11.2 in the Prado). And both have/ had a permanent Front Runner rack up top - the Y62 doesn't yet have the bar out the front (which I've found doesn't add much at all - it's only 70kg's and aerodynamics don't really apply to the bluff front).

As 1nando alludes to - I will more than happily pay 2L/100 (indeed, I thought it'd be up to 5L/100 - still may get there) to have no Turbo, no EGR, no DPF, no AdBlue and no need to replace engines (I hope) at 135,000km like my GXL. It's why I went to the 'new' 2.8 Prado after the LC, thinking Diesel was still where it's at and Toyota should surely get an engine right. Nup. That Prado spent 2 of 18 months off the road in dealerships, chewed two DPFs and a drive shaft, had recalls on the rear diff and ECU, and still failed to become reliable by the time I traded it (was squealing like a b*tch when coasting off-power at above 80km/h).

Instead, for 2L/100km I gain back over-taking power and all the other good stuff Nando mentions. No way I'll buy a diesel again (after 40 years of them, including 2 x GU's and a GQ) and no way I'll buy a Toyota 4WD (while they add their Toyota Tax, anyway).

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

1nando (13th July 2018), bazzaboy (14th July 2018), vern (13th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ti has only done a bit over 3100k , I'm on my 5th tank of petrol all fills have been 98 , overall average for the first 4 tanks is 14.2x100 , mostly Highway , county roads driving at the speed limit wherever I can , that calculated by fuel pump and odo reading , not the computer.
    I know its only early days but I'm happy enough so far vehicle is still completely stock

The Rhino bar and winch will be fitted next month and I will do some sort of Fitout in the back .
    This tank might drag the average down a bit , I have done a few performance runs

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CamJam,
    You don't have to justify the purchase or the fact that you like these, to me. Your certainly entitled to you likes and opinions. But as I said, not for me, too thirsty, regardless of the extra power it makes. I agree with you about all diesels in general and thick my next 4wd will be petrol again.
    As for Toyotas, I've had a much better experience with them than any other vehicle I've owned. I had ten years in two 120 series V6 Prados. Both did over 250 thousand K's each and never had a spanner on them. They ran faultlessly and returned about 14 -16 /100, driving local,Hwy, or towing, with more than enough power to spare. I would have bought another one except they stopped making that model.
    My current 2014 Y61 Titanium Patrol is a slug in comparison, although I enjoy driving it solo. It's when you put a trailer behind it that you want to slash your wrists.
    Anyway .... it will be a difficult choice when the time comes to buy something else.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you say the new patrol is too thirsty for you, yet those fuel figures you posted of your ex prado' s are worse than i get in my patrol. I am confused here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vern For This Useful Post:

1nando (15th July 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no justifying here - anyone who buys a vehicle based purely on the head would buy a $10,000 third hand school-run 4WD and pocket the $70,000 in savings. Personally I think anyone who tries to 'justify' a new 4WD purchase is really just trying to convince themselves. I've got no dilemmas in admitting I bought the Y62, in part, based on its looks, size and the power I don't really need at all. There are sooooo many variables out there in an individuals mind and wish list of wants and needs - anyone who knocks another persons choice is a peanut.

Having said that, the Prado 2.8 is, from my experience, a dogs breakfast. It's known for DPF failures (had two, third on its way), driveshaft failures (had that too) and from the 3.0D4D for it's injector failures. Now it's the dusting in the 2.8 as well (this was suspected in causing bearing squealing when I sold it). I bought the Prado after buying into the Toyota reliability myth and it's cost me a fair bit of money. TMCA are great to deal with - right up until the point where it will cost them money for something to be fixed (I can't, however, say that Nissan isn't like this as I haven't needed to ask so far). They stalled on every single fix, every step of the way. It was NOT, however, the dealers. They went above an beyond trying to help out - to the point they showed me the communication between them and head office in Sydney with them pleading my case and the TMCA replies just requesting more tests to be done (which reads as more time off the road at my inconvenience).

If you want Petrol, you're left with (in the affordable > 5 seat market) with the LC200 or Y62.

As for the Y61 Titanium - there's a fair bit out there that would lift it's power just slightly, but enough to make a good difference. Minor chips or remaps, exhaust and better cooling should see a noticeable increase. And they've fixed the ZD30 years ago (which is what the 2.8 is becoming in the Prado/ Hilux/ Fortuner). My bet is that it'll be one of the last half-million kilometre engines with a bit of care.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CamJam For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (16th July 2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast