Thread: Can anyone help with limp mode?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone help with limp mode?

Hey fellas, recently installed a dawes & needle aswell as blocked the egr plate.
    I have max boost set to 15 psi, and constantly get limp mode.
    I have tried opening the needle valve right up, closing it and just about everything in between and still get limp mode under any acceleration between 0-80km/h. I'm hitting max boost (15psi) at 2000-2100rpm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 2005 gu. ZD30

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    15 psi max boost should be fine (should not be too high), it sounds like it is not getting the fuel as required. Check your MAF sensor, give it a good clean with a liberal spray of CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner (don't touch it with your fingers and let it dry by evaporation only). Never done it, but do a search on how to check the pin voltage on the MAF sensor. Maybe get a loan of one to try out as a comparison. Have you a scan tool to identify any fault code coming up)?

Has it only started since installing dawes / needle valve?

There is a way to bypass manual boost control to assist in fault finding but requires care not to over boost. I recently did this as part of a trouble shooting exercise (CRD), different reason but had success. First check your MAF sensor out and maybe a fuel filter.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate, it has no fault codes up, fuel filter replaced 200kms ago, same as maf sensor. And yeah, only been happening since install of dawes & needle/egr plate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No experience with your DI eng first hand. Are you certain that you have installed manual boost control correctly and have no vac or boost leaks.

Try setting a max boost of 10psi at 2000 rpm under a slight load with needle closed. Then at idle, open needle valve slowly until you see the actuator arm just start to drop away from its stop screw and then close it a 1/4 of a turn. Give it a run at that and progress with further adjustment of both from here.

Have a read of Chaz's Patrol ZD30 TDi Manual; Boost Controller document.

Mudski on hear might be able to help out.

Recently, I bypassed my manual boost control sys to help identify what was causing a spool problem but I am being cautious here as mine is a CRD and can handle max spool. DIs may have a problem with max spool operation..
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate, I have the same engine and although I'm no expert I have had similar things a while ago. You can sometimes get a bounce over 15 psi under acceleration which can cause limp mode. There is also times where mine goes into limp under long acceleration, say up a ramp to a freeway or similar, usually when the vehicle is cold. My cure was as follows. I lowered the max psi with the dawes to 14 psi, then gradually increased it to 15psi, about a quarter of a turn at a time. I also used the needle valve to "smooth" the spool up to reduce the over "bounce" as much as possible. I have also removed the spring from the Dawes and stretch and compressed it (by hand - don't go nuts with tools or anything) and made sure its clean and not sticking. These things combined seem to have eliminated the problem, but I have no idea if any single thing made the difference. One more thing, at one stage I had a very small vacuum leak in one of the inter-cooler hoses. I mean microscopic. This caused some variations in tuning and intermittent limp. A new cuff and very tight clamps made a remarkable charge, given the leak was nearly undetectable. I think some of the Dawes valves can be very touchy. Anyway hop this helps. Cheers Tony.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Righto, many things will be causing this. First thing. Is the intercooler the original or aftermarket. Is the boost holding under acceleration before limp mode.? Limp mode is usually caused from over boost. So drop the max boost level to 14 psi and see what happens. Keep dropping it until limp goes and tell us what level it goes. 15psi in my opinion is a tad on the too low side for boost. These motors will happily scoot along with 25psi boost. Mine did for maybe two years before the pump shit itself.

Best mod to do to these motors is to get rid of limp mode totally. You can trick the maf voltage signals using a few resistors from Jaycar, plenty of info on the web showing you how. Or you can buy a MAF housing from HPD which are made to alter the air flow and trick the maf signals that way.
    I would do this if I was to ever have a 3ltr again. Limp mode is on top of the list to be the most annoying thing on these motors.

So what to do now? Remove and clean the maf. Also disconnect the battery for atleast half an hour whilst doing so. This will reset the ECU. Assuming you have plumbed it up all right. When you open and close the needle valve. does the rod on the turbo actuator arm move up and down as you close, then open the valve?

Also who did you buy your kit from? Nearly every shop on eBay now sell the chinese copies and they are known to not work. I used to cop a lot of emails and messages from buyers blaming me assuming I was selling these kits to the other resellers. If you bought from eBay, tell me the reseller and I can tell you if its legit or not.

Getting rid of the dreaded limp mode can send one loopy. It was for me until I just got rid of it totally.
    Last edited by mudski; 27th May 2018 at 08:01 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, its a oem intercooler, boost is holding at 14psi until limp mode, ive been as low as 9psi and still getting limp mode.

Yeah mate, as I open & close the actuator rod moves up and down.

Not sure on the origins of it mate, it was from a friend of mine.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschw99 View Post
    Hey mate, its a oem intercooler, boost is holding at 14psi until limp mode, ive been as low as 9psi and still getting limp mode.

Yeah mate, as I open & close the actuator rod moves up and down.

Not sure on the origins of it mate, it was from a friend of mine.
    Has the intercooler got any oil spots on it? You may need to take it off and have a look on the underside. If it does, even small amounts. The intercooler is leaking boost pressure. This is bad, and even worse when you fit a manual boost controller. As the motor is now unable to compensate for the leaking boost pressure, whereas prior to the Dawes, the ECU could simply work the turbo harder and harder to create more boost. Not an ideal thing to put the turbo through though.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that i could see mate, pulled it off & checked underneath it also.

Just thinking, i've got both the dawes valve boost pickup & guage coming off the same boost t, is that alright or should they be completely seperate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast