Thread: wiring rear worklights from roof rack

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiring rear worklights from roof rack

Hi all,
    I am trying to wire up a couple of worklights to the roof rack on the rear of my GU7 wagon. I have seen another patrol with the wiring run down through a hole that has been drilled in the top section of the vent adjacent to the rear window. I have drilled a hole through the plastic which then hit the body of the wagon. I also drilled through that thinking that would get me inside the vehicle. My problem now is that i can not seem to get the wire to go down this hole and reappear inside the vehicle down the bottom behind the door trim. It seems to be hitting on something or getting stuck about half way down the window. Anyone had any experience trying to run wiring down this way and know how i might be able to resolve it? I am stuck. Photo for reference.Thanks
    post for forum.jpg
    2010 GU, 2in lift, old man emu suspension, duellers, arb bullbar, dual batteries, safari snorkel, scangauge2, rhino rack platform, saving for more......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    20131009_152115 (Small).jpg
    This is what I did for the wiring to the lightbar on the roof rack.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudski,
    That might be plan b. The way I am doing it seemed like a nice neat and direct way as I have already run deep cycle battery power up to the cig lighter in the back. Not sure whether to keep drilling bigger hole and try and find a way through or whether there is an actual barrier. X-ray vision would come in handy about now.
    2010 GU, 2in lift, old man emu suspension, duellers, arb bullbar, dual batteries, safari snorkel, scangauge2, rhino rack platform, saving for more......

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try and run some thin stiff wire down the hole, like fencing wire. Will be easy to maneuver than electrical wire. If you get it through, tape your wires to the fencing wire and pull it through.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah been doing that but keeps hitting stuff. The body seems to have multiple vertical layers through that corner pillar and not sure if there are some horizontal joins that creates compartments that prevents me getting the stiff wire through. Been poking wires up from inside and down from the outside and can't seem to get them to meet anywhere. Doing my head in.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does seem like a very plausible area to wire through lbbo mate, keen to learn also! Not much help sorry as our wagons rear work lights are on the aftermarket tyre mount thingo. Please do be very careful though mate of sharp rusty edges onto wires once hopefully found a way through. FWIW my utes somewhat dodgey route up top was through the protected edge snorkel hole although this would be a long route for your rear battery mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MB, have got through after drilling through 2 panels and enlarging a hole in the third on the interior. Those sharp edges are what's preventing me pull the electrical wire through and was just in the shed grabbing the file when I read your post!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrols proven again by your good self are built tough lbbo!
    Also as you mate have always been so weary about drilling through our beasts shells for mods we all need. Where penetrations have to go through as a minimum I was kindly educated to neatly drill,steel file and well seal steel thereafter. Grommets as a minimum too where possible: Thankfully have a great industrial sparky mate that helps out with the serious wire seals inside/outside:-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my wiring is more agricultural than industrial but I reckon it's going to work. Can't fit a grommet so the Old faithful silicon will have to do this time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance that your ‘Rhino’ roof rack bracket thingy can be moved back roughly 6” mate? Honestly only thinking for you good bloke that a tree branch might catch your top work there! Zippy ties to the ‘rear’ of that good mount with corrugated split sleeve tubing cover should protect pretty well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (24th May 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast